Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IMS emails not getting through Active Sync

Status
Not open for further replies.

wlamo

MIS
Mar 14, 2007
US
I know IMS is old and I should probably upgrade to UMS but that is costly and is in future considerations. Right now I have IMS running and still working, the problem I have is that for some reason all emails generated by IMS do not get forwarded by active sync to my iphone and Droid users. My BB users get them. Does anyone have any idea why this occurs? I thought perhaps because it was an SMTP message but we get them from our SAN units and they are forwarded via Active Sync.

Thanks in advance.

I thought perhaps because it was an SMTP message

No it will be nothing to do with SMTP. IMS communicates to the email server using MAPI.

I have is that for some reason all emails generated by IMS do not get forwarded by active sync to my iphone and Droid users

Are the messages reaching the exchange server - I'd figure yes.

I suspect that the active sync cannot cope with the message type that the IMS form uses.

How to fix? I don't know, but IMS was produced before the profileration of handheld email devices, which suggests that this scenario may never work.

Take Care

Matt
I have always wished that my computer would be as easy to use as my telephone.
My wish has come true. I no longer know how to use my telephone.

Thanks for your input, I might point out that I opened Outlook on the VMpro server and created an identical message manually and Active sync did forward that message. Since IMS is using the outlook client I don't the "type" of message is the issue though I would not rule it out without further understanding of IMS.

I don't the "type" of message is the issue though I would not rule it out without further understanding of IMS

When the VM server (IMS voice server actually) initiates a MAPI send, it requests a slightly different message type. This changed message type indicates to the receiving outlook to use a different form type to process the message i.e. teh customer Avaya one that contains the embedded player etc. This message type is what exchange / outlook use to differentiate between an email and a meeting request for example.

What all this means, is that sending an email from the vm server using the outlook client doesn't really offer any extra information.

What you need to do is send a message using the Avaya IMS form type. To do this (and sadly I can't remember quite how and don't now use exchange so can't poke around to find out but link may help) choose the avaya form and and send to your internal email address.

Take Care

Matt
I have always wished that my computer would be as easy to use as my telephone.
My wish has come true. I no longer know how to use my telephone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back