Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IMS CLIENT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simplysmith

IS-IT--Management
Nov 8, 2002
CA
Im currently running a new install Ip Office 2.1 (24) with CCC and IMS. Im having problems getting a client PC to connect to IMS intergrating with outlook 2003 I have the server configured The Exchange account configured, All mailboxs in the IMs admin tool are linked to the exchange active directory. However when trying to connect using a client machine it will not accept the login. Am I suppose to login using theclient exchange account or the VM account?

It is the active directory credentials it is asking you for.

What OS and service pack is the client PC running? If XP SP2, the issue you are encountering is a known issue. There are a couple workarounds proposed in other posts.

A technique you can try is as follows:

From the XP SP2 system, start dcomcnfg, navigate to component services, computers, my computer. Right click on my computer and choose properties.

Choose the com security tab, access permissions, edit
limits.

Grant "Anonymous Logon" to the everyone user.

This is a temporary fix and hopefully will be addressed soon by an IMS update which accounts for security changes included in XP SP2.

I will give it a shot, I am running Windows XP w SP2 using outlook 2000. To the best of my knowledge the IMS server is configured correctly (on the vmail server)

On the client side after I load the app. I log onto outlook the client asks for the exchange username of the employee, however it keeps throwing a login error with the username and password combination.

Any other ideas? Previous post did not work. Should I install the Gateway and Database service on the exchange server?

You may need to look out for IP Office Technical Tip 49 which covers the effect of Windows XP Service Pack 2 on various apps - including the IMS Client.

It details some DCOM changes that have to be made. I assume that the now delayed 3.0 would have included a corrected IMS client installer.

Have pasted the text below:

Additional enhancements to the operating system, in the Windows XP Service Pack 2, are within the security of DCOM. This gives rise to applications failing to operate, without any clear indication of the failure.

Within the IP Office application range there are programs, such as the IP Office IMS client, which utilise DCOM. The following information shows how to modify the security level to enable their correct operation. When running the component services icon (from Administration) or ‘dcomcnfg’ from the command line for the first time after the service pack installation, you will receive a security alert.

Select ‘Unblock’ to continue. Navigate down to ‘My Computer’ and select properties.

Select the COM Security tab.

Now edit the limits for ‘Access Permissions’ and ‘Launch and Activation Permissions’ to allow Remote Access and remote Launch/Activation permissions for anonymous and everyone.

After changing, click OK, and close Component Services manager.

Thanks! I have the application working. However Im having a new issue with outlook 2003. The Client is working fine on XP SP2 with outlook 2000 with the dcom config change, But the system is not allowing the client to logon to the service when running Outlook 2003. This is bad as over 20 clients are running the 2003 outlook.

Any thoughts?

It's my understanding that IMS and 2003 simply do not mix. Perhaps, as mentioned, the now delayed R3 will improve on this situation.

Peter

A previous thread made reference to Teck Tip 26 (I believe) which indicates that 2.1.10 of VM Pro now supports Outlook 2003.

Kris G.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back