Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Improving dialup connection speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

theshinyone

Technical User
Jul 4, 2003
US
Im looking for ways to improve my dialup connection for broadband options are nonexistant. Im wondering if there are any programs out there that can help.

What speed is your current analogue connection? Are there any ISDN services available in your area?

ROGER - G0AOZ.

I think im getting 3kb/s download on my dialup but Im getting major packet loss. There is ISDN service in the area but its sucks and not worth the money. I want to know if there is a way to reduce the packet loss.

Your best bet (contrary to commercial products' claims) is to reduce your connect speed to one that is relatively error-free. Depending on the modem that you have, your command will probably be:

AT +MS

or

AT &N

You can set various rates, but you may want to run it down to 33.6K to start with, just to see if you end up with a performance gain (although 3.4kbs is probably the best that you can expect with a 33.6K connection). You can step it up toward 56K until you start getting a number of errors.

Generally a slow error-free connection will perform better than a faster error-prone connection because of the retransmits that must be performed in order to compensate for the errors. Even if you reduce the MTU size (which is what the connection performance improvement software does).

Good luck!

pansophic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back