Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

improvement with half or full duplex???

Status
Not open for further replies.

stefanstiefenhofer

Technical User
Feb 11, 2003
DE
Hallo,

is there an improvement if i set my
nic´s which are connected to a switch
to 100 full duplex.

is there a speed improvement or is the
default auto setting the best way??

thanks for replies

If Auto works, it is best. If the Switch is managed you can set Full duplex at BOTH ends, that is OK as well. With a switch where you cannot set Full at the switch end, the workable settings at the NIC are Auto and Half.

unmanaged switch (for this purpose, I mean a switch you cannot configure)

NIC Switch
Auto Auto Works at Full (unless the wire is bad or one vendor read the spec funny)
Full Auto Fails (may 'work' but be WAY slow)
Half Auto Works at Half

managed switch
Auto Auto Works at Full (unless the wire is bad or one vendor read the spec funny)
Full Auto Fails
Half Auto Works at Half
Auto Full Fails
Full Full Works at Full
Half Full Fails
Auto Half Works at Half
Full Half Fails
Half Half Works at Half I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

I had a similar question!

After doing some research using this site I desided to install a D-link switch DSS 5+ that will allow up to 200 Mbps at full duplex mode. My understanding is that when set to 100 Mbps full duplex this operation allows simultaneous transmission and reception, both at 100 Mbps. Thus increasing network speed by providing service potentially equal to 200Mbps. If your nic card and switch support full duplex mode, manually setting it to 100 full duplex, would improve network performance. I hope I am correct here if I don't have all of the facts could someone let me know.

P.S This is a FANTASTIC site! [thumbsup]

Andras.

Leave it on Auto, unless the DLink switch allows you to set the switch side to full, Auto should work great 200 Mbps, very few collisions I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back