Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Improve Performance 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

zaineyma

Technical User
Jul 27, 2006
GB
Hi All,

So we have users running W7, 32 bi,4GB RAm, 1.7GHz processors. Without doing a memory upgrade or any other refresh what ways can we improve performance when they experience slowness/sluggish performances? I need to make recommendations as they have 800 users and no budget! I am ideally looking for the not so obvious things, any help will be much appreciated.

Thank you

Apologies, was unsure of the forum it needed to be in, any assistance bar that sir?

Well the first step is finding out where the bottleneck is - there's no point in trying to speed up their hard drives if the problem is a slow network.

What is it that is slow?

Nelviticus

One thing that I do is to use CCLEANER to clean up the computer and registry. The free version works fine and it makes my machine run significantly faster after running. I now use it once a month and I never have any problems of any kind with my machine. I also keep my machine up-to-date on patches. Only get it from the developers web site , never from another site. There are hacked versions out there. I checked on many sites and reviews and the pretty much all said that CCleaner was the best. The site is

I do NOT work for piriform, I am just a satisfied customer.

Bill
Lead Application Developer
New York State, USA

Long retired but still a long time very satisfied user of periform ccleaner. It works well; nice post Beilstwh

Sam

>The free version works fine and it makes my machine run significantly faster after running

A number of benchmark sites over the years have performed in depth tests, and they generally have not shown any speed improvement (e.g. here). Indeed, if you use it too often it may actually SLOW down browsing, since it removes cached web pages. It is a useful utility for keeping your system clean, but it does not provide any meaningful speed boost, anecdotal evidence notwithstanding.

Note that I said generally. For example, disabling unnecessary startup items is one of the quickest and easiest ways to potentially improve the overall the performance of a system, and CCLEANER has a feature that allows you to do just that, and is possibly fractionally easier to use for that function than the tools shipped with Windows that do the same thing (e.g. MSCONFIG)

As I had said early in this thread, there are two avenues to pursue: upgrades and maximizing what you've got. Maximizing is FREE if you don't count IT staff time. You reduce services, startup items, uninstall programs and you get maybe 20% improvement at no cost. I do this all the time for my customers.

I always run CCleaner and the registry cleaner part of it as well (saving changes before each pass!! as a CYA), especially after removing a bunch of programs. I think it helps a bit for computers that are never cleaned up. For computers that are in better shape, the gain is minimal.

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back