Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

improve Dial up connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

creedprg

MIS
Aug 31, 2005
PH
Our place is not feasible by ADSL connection that's why im still using Dial up connection. It only gives me
an 31.2 kbps... Is there any way to improve the speed?

I have ADSL connection in the office. if i use RAS does this help me?

Thanks

The only ways I know of to improve your dial up connection speed are:-

Experiment with different modems. Some are better than others at coping with a bad line.

Have a word with your ISP. They may suggest you dial a different number that connects your modem to one of theirs that is more compatible.

Contact your telephone company and get them to check your line. But be warned. Firtly, you have to be persistant in your questioning. Secondly, when I did this they finally decided there was a bad connection. A few weeks later they dug up my whole street to find it. My phone (and some of my neighbours phones) ended up being disconnected for two weeks. I was not popular! Once they completed the work and everyone was reconnected, it was no better than before! I still only got about the same speed as you. But if I connected at a certain friends house I would get the full 56K (I had a laptop).

Later still I switched phone company for other reasons. Suddenly I got up to 40K+ connections regularly. Same phone line to same exchange with same number. So why it improved I have no idea.

Then I went broadband.

Best of luck.

stduc
Thanks to your kind response. I try to Coordinate some of my friend here regarding this problem. They also have the same problem in dial.... 31.0 i think this is the best connection they can provide. I also ask the ISP they just give me DNS no... It's still the same.

Thank you so much

You could try a noise filter, called a low pass filter, that sells for about $10 at Radio Shack. It has done wonders for me at several customers.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back