Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Impromptu Scheduler

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 19, 2003
NZ
I've had a quick look at Scheduler and I was wondering if anyone can tell me if any of the following is possible, either through the software itself, or through a macro that a non-programmer could configure, or third party software.

1. Passing values to the prompts in the report.

2. Passing the the scheduled report instance to MS Outlook and emailing it.

3. Appending the run date to the filename to give each runned instance a unique name.

I'm sure this is all possible in ReportNet but ReportNet is not within our budget.

Thanks.

Bruce

This is all possible by writing macros, then scheduling the macro to run. If you're familiar with VB or VBA, CognosScript will be a breeze. If not, just read the Impromptu Macro documentation provided by Cognos and you should be fine. If you have more detailed questions after you've read the docs, post a question here and someone should be able to help.

I am what I am based on the decisions I have made.

DoubleD [bigcheeks]

Further to DoubleD's posting (to which I concur), you'll need to be aware of which version of Outlook you are running; later versions of Outlook and Exchange cannot be successfully called from a cognos macro due to their anti-viral protection. Use of SMTP can be a way around this limitation.

soi la, soi carré

You will see from the Imp menu etc. that you can 'schedule' a report. Internally, Impromptu builds an object that it hands off to the scheduler. If the report contains prompts Impromptu will get those from the user and package them into the object. When the time comes for scheduler to 'run' the report it tells Impromptu that it should execute a report using the context in the object scheduler was given.

You will also notice that scheduler gives you the option to trigger Impromptu options such as save as etc. in addition to that you can chain in your own macro stuff and you will see that scheduler also supports MAPI etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back