Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Impromptu performance issue Series 7.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

macrus

Technical User
Aug 7, 2002
AU
Help,

Since upgrading to Impromptu version 7.1.116.11 we are experiencing weird %-( performance issues such as:

1) Open Impromptu report, make change and then attempt to use the "Save As" option. Impromptu seems to hold some type of lock on the file and returns an error "You cannot save the report with the same name as another open report". Believe me, we are not attempting to save to a same named report, but Impromptu just won't believe us!!![ponder]

2) Open simple Impromptu report(IMR file). Run the report but stop using the 'ESC' key before it finishes. Attempt to re-run the report and Impromtpu simply 'hangs' and appears to do nothing. The only way to exit Impromptu once this has happened is to kill the application via Task Manager.

3) Impromptu continues to create *.TMP files in c:\temp even though ALL of my 'Options' point to D: drive and there is absolutely NO reference to C:\Temp in the Impromptu.ini file.

Has anyone experienced ANY performance degradation with Series 7.1 and if so, have you come across any solutions???

thanks,
Macrus
[thumbsup]

Haven't seen #1 or #2.

#3 is probably due to you having a TEMP variable=C:\TEMP in your system profile. Check to see if that's there. And if you know that none of you other programs require that, then change the TEMP variable to D:\TEMP, or wherever you want it to point to.

Good luck.

Thanks puppyquestion1,
we thought that this 'temp' space could be causing some of the hanging symptoms we are receiving.

Still haven't had any helpful response from Oz Cognos support as they believe it is our Lan that is causing the problems. I am not convinced of this, as we still get huge performance issues when running IMR files locally on our database server.

cheers,
Macrus
[thumbsup]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back