Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Impromptu edit column headers error when saving

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrpauly

Programmer
May 11, 2001

Folks,

I have edited the column headers in a report. Saving in PDF will keep modified name however in Excel or CSV will revert back to original (database) column names. Does anyone have a fix or know if this is a bug?

Thanks
Paul

Click on the detail column in the report and right-click to select 'Properties'. Look at the tab titled 'Column Title'. If the checkbox labeled 'Link the column title text to the name of the query item' is checked, uncheck it. This should prevent it from changing back.

HTH,

Dave Griffin
The Decision Support Group
Reporting Consulting with Cognos BI Tools
"Magic with Data"
[pc2]

Dave,

I have these unchecked. For some reason I got it to work once and that is it. I even created a new report, changed the field names, and left uncheck...and it still did not fix. Do you what is causing this not to work??

PS - Thanks for the my prior two posts several weeks ago. I do appreciate your efforts.

Paul

Paul,

Let me make sure I understand the problem. Is the probelm:

1) You save the report as a (pick one: CSV, Excel) file and afterwards the IMR shows the displayed column headers as going back to the database column names.

OR

2) You save the report to Excel or CSV format and the column headers in the Excel or CSV files change back to the database column names.

If it is the latter there is no simple fix. Exports to raw data types (CSV and raw Excel) do not use the visual report formatting at all. You may be able to change the report object name to match your desired column name. No guarantee, but that may fix the export.

HTH,

Dave Griffin
The Decision Support Group
Reporting Consulting with Cognos BI Tools
"Magic with Data"
[pc2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back