Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Impromptu-Calculating grouped columns

Status
Not open for further replies.

shelldataguy

Technical User
Aug 7, 2003
US
I have a report grouped as outlined below. Basically, I am trying to calculate the number of tickets for each status under each system type. There is probably a very simple answer that I am missing. (Note: Alignment of these three columns may be off in my posting). Any suggestions?

System Status Ticket #
N Open 123456

Closed 901234
--------------------FOOTER
Y Open 123456

Closed 567890
--------------------FOOTER

Hi,

Try creating another calculated column which will look like 'Count(Ticket#) for Status

Hope this helps

If you want a count of the open and closed tickets for each system in the system footer, you need to create a calculated column as follows:

Closed Counter:
If( Status = 'Closed) then (1) else (0) ...

Open Counter:
If( Status = 'Closed) then (0) else (1) ...

Then add the calcuation of the Total for each of these in the system footer.

Hope this helps,

Dave Griffin

The Decision Support Group
Reporting Consulting with Cognos BI Tools
"Magic with Data"
[pc2]
Want good answers? Read FAQ401-2487 first!

Hi
Pls try in this way
Group the report based on status column ,then select the total report and select the status column footer from the format tab(properties).Insert a calculated column( count of tickets) in the status footer below ticket column .Then drag the calculated column besides existing columns in the report.Now you can see the count of tickets againest each status.I think this will help you a lot.
Thanks
sai rao

Hi shelldataguy,

Correct me if I am confused, but your requirement appears quite simple to me. since I dont have data similar to you, I tried it on Great Outdoor catalog.

The requirement can be reframed as follows :

calculate the number of products for each product line under each product type (This exactly sounds like your requirement)

Steps :

Create a list report based on Product folders. Select Product Type, product line and product columns

Group all the 3 columns in the same order

Insert a calculated field as follows :

Count (Product) for Product Line

Associate this field with product line

This should give you the desired results.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back