Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Impromptu and Visual Basic 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlaineR

IS-IT--Management
Aug 27, 2001
CA
Hello,

My project team is building an application in Visual Basic 6.0 that will create reports from a SQL Server database running on an NT platform.

My question is whether it is possible to interface seamlessly between VB and Impromptu so that Impromptu can generate the reports (invisibly) in the background. The idea is that the user would input a couple of parameters in the VB application and generate the report without having Impromptu actually open up, etc. Users should then be able to view or print the report in whatever format (likely pdf) it's created in.

The technical folks at Cognos think this is probably possible, but if anyone can give me more assurance -- especially if they've actually been successful with this -- I'd appreciate it very much.

Thanks,
Blaine

Blaine,

It sounds quite possible, however you will need to install Impromptu on the computers that will run the application because you will be leverage the objects, methods, and properties of Impromptu using VB. If you don't want to even install the app I recommend using IWR instead.

Thanks for the suggestion, n30er!

Hi,
I think its not necessary to have the Impromptu on the same system. U can access the Impromptu running in some other system using your Visual Basic. I have not implemented that but I have heard people using CreateObject methood in VB and contacting the Imprompotu dll in someother system.
Even I recommed IWR in this regard.

Thanks,
Badhri..

Hi BlaineR,

We are actually doing this here. Calling Cognos via VB against and Oracle 7.3.4 and Clarify 7.0. We are currently having problems with report performance and are thinking it may be related to the Cognos server which is NT 4.0 Sp 6A.

I'm the DBA but we have a programmer who set the whole thing up. If you wish to send specific questions I can pass them to the developer.

Steve

We wrote a VB App to publish PowerPlay reports in HTML and PDF format to user's folders (Security for these types of files is via NT Authentication and rights) and then updates the Upfront portal. We do have Powerplay installed on the machine that runs it. I think you can do much the same with Impromptu.

Rudy

Hi Everybody,

Iam new to cognos products and would like to know the differences between powerplay and impromptu, impromptu and impromtu web and IWR.

If anybody provides me with creating catalogues, iqd files and cubes using impromptu with some sort examples that will be helpful for me to get on track with cognos.Also please explain me the prompts and what kinda prompts r there in cognos.

ur help appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

rgds

Sukumar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back