Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Impromptu 7.1 using Oracle 9.2 database problems 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chargrams

Programmer
Aug 28, 2002
CA
I ran into a problem with Impromtpu 7.0 and Oracle 8.i where I had to change the following parameter in the cogdmor.ini file for the specific Oracle verstion:

[Exceptions General ORACLE8.1]
Case_To_Decode=F

This solved a problem where Impromtpu was displaying anything to the left of the decimal:
ex: 1.25 = 1, 0.40 = 0 etc...

I have now moved to Oracle 9.2 and there doesn't seem to be a section for this specific verstion in the ini file, so I cannot simply change it (and adding it in manually doesn't work either).

Does anyone know:
1. If Impromptu 7.x supports Oracle 9.2
2. How to fix this problem?
3. About this problem?

...Chargrams

...Chargrams

Yes, you can use Oracle 9.2. Just type what you need into the cogdmor.

Did you just move to 9.2? Are you using the 9.2 client (actually, its the 9.2.0.1 w/ the 9.2.0.3 patchset)? We found that without the proper client we were missing data...it would show as a blank in the report, but if you filtered on the blank a value showed. If you're not on that client, I recommend going to it asap.

Thanks,

I figured that the following statement would fix the problem
[Exceptions General ORACLE9.2]
Case_To_Decode=F
Because I actually figured out that this was a problem for 8.1, and posted the solution on tek-tips. For some reason it's not working when I add it in manually. Is there any additional steps from moving to Oracle 9.2 from 8.1??? The upgrade seemed too easy (excluding this current problem).

We are using the proper client (as you mentioned).

...Chargrams

I know this is a 'duh', but you did restart Impromptu after the changes? Here's my documentation on the changes I made to .ini files.

1. Open the Impromptu.ini file located at c:program files\cognos\cer3\bin. Under [Query Options], add this line: use automatic Oracle Decode=0
2. Open the codgmor.ini file located at c:program files\cognos\cer3\bin. Do a find and replace [Exceptions General ORACLEx.x], and replace all occurrences of Case_To_Decode=T to Case_To_Decode=F. These will be under the heading [Exceptions General ORACLEx.x], Add these lines for Oracle 9i below the lines for Oracle 8.1
[Exceptions General ORACLE9.0]
Case_To_Decode=F

[Exceptions General ORACLE9.1]
Case_To_Decode=F

Case_To_Decode=F
3. Still in cogdmor.ini, under the section [Exceptions Values…] add these entries. Save and close file when completed.
[Exceptions Value Expressions ORACLE9.0]
Case=F
Case_Searched=F
Cast=F

[Exceptions Value Expressions ORACLE9.1]
Case=F
Case_Searched=F
Cast=F

[Exceptions Value Expressions ORACLE9.2]
Case=F
Case_Searched=F
Cast=F

cindy,

This is a great post. Lots of people are going to encounter this in the future as they migrate. Why not put this together into a FAQ for the forum so that others can find it more easily? Threads tend to become harder to find as they age, at least until TT does a revamp of their search engine.

Thanks for helping.

Dave Griffin

The Decision Support Group
Reporting Consulting with Cognos BI Tools
"Magic with Data"
[pc2]
Want good answers? Read FAQ401-2487 first!

Thanks for the compliment! I just submitted this as my first ever FAQ.

Hello,

Thanks again for the reply.

Just to clarify things...in our environment the above statements do not work. Well I should carify that. They do not work in the specific database section. I've decided to change the general section, with the changes I made for Impromptu 8.1, which is probably not the best thing to do, but it works. See below:

[Exceptions General]
Case_to_decode=F

[Exceptions Value Expressions]
Case=F

As I mentioned, I encountered this probablem with Oracle 8.1 so I had a lot of experience changing these fields (along with others) and restarting Impromptu. Impromtpu 7 series does not support 9.2 (as the cognos support folks have mentioned). I assume that the sections in the Cogdmor.ini would not read Oracle 9.2 properly.

I wanted to avoid changing the general "default" database section. Are you actually using an Oracle 9.2 database (i.e. 9.1 with the patchset) with the Oracle 9.2 client?

Dave,
Are you like the Cognos "Guru" aka "Master"???

...Chargrams

Chargrams,

I'm just another user. I'm probably the old man of this group in terms of time using Cognos products (8 years, back to Impromptu 3). I'm mostly an Impromptu person. Some Powerplay. Lots of macro and stored procedure use.

Regards,

Dave Griffin

"Magic with Data"
[pc2]

I worked with Cognos for five months trying to identify an issue that we discovered when we went to 9.2. No one at Cognos support told me that they did not support Oracle 9.2; in fact, the issue was routed to the Hotsite development. So, I would say if these fixes do not fix you, contact Cognos! Ultimately the issue was with Oracle. These is a bug in 9.2 and it is identified by Oracle as being resolved by the 9.2.0.3 patchset (the patchset # is 2761332). On the server, we have 9.2.0.3. For the client, we had to install the 9.2.0.1 client and then apply the 9.2.0.3 patchset.

Hi Cindy,

If you visit the Cognos Website, or contact Cognos Support they will tell you that Cognos Series 7 supports 9.1.0.1 Oracle Database, but that they do not forsee any problems with 9.2.0.3. In other words Oracle 9.2 is not officially supported.

I cannot tell you how many times vendors have assumed that things will work and have been wrong. I have the exact environment you are talking about, so I guess we are talking about a different side-effect but required a similar change.

I've tried to change my config file with your changes 10 times before even posting it on tek-tips because I assumed what the changes would be. Nonetheless, I'll try them once again and confirm what happens.

...Chargrams

Chargrams,

Did you install the Oracle 9.2.0.3 patch that Cindy referred to?

Dave Griffin

"Magic with Data"
[pc2]

Dave,

Yes, the patchset is installed, making it 9.2.0.3.

Cindy,

Can you please tell me if what your values are for the following fields in the cogdmor.ini:

[Exceptions General]
Case_to_decode=???

Case=????

I have a feeling that yours are set to "F" as mine are, which may be why we're confused on the actual solution.

Thanks

...Chargrams

Here you go...both Exceptions General & Exceptions Value Experssions....

[Exceptions General ORACLE7.0]
Case_To_Decode=F

[Exceptions General ORACLE7.1]
Case_To_Decode=F

[Exceptions General ORACLE7.2]
Case_To_Decode=F

[Exceptions General ORACLE7.3]
Case_To_Decode=F

[Exceptions General ORACLE8.0]
Case_To_Decode=F

[Exceptions General ORACLE8.1]
Case_To_Decode=F

[Exceptions General ORACLE9.0]
Case_To_Decode=F

[Exceptions General ORACLE9.1]
Case_To_Decode=F

Case_To_Decode=F

[Exceptions Value Expressions ORACLE7.0]
Cast=F
Case=F
Case_Searched=F
Cast=F
Trim=F

[Exceptions Value Expressions ORACLE7.1]
Cast=F
Case=F
Case_Searched=F
Cast=F
Trim=F

[Exceptions Value Expressions ORACLE7.2]
Cast=F
Case=F
Case_Searched=F
Cast=F
Trim=F

[Exceptions Value Expressions ORACLE7.3]
Cast=F
Case=F
Case_Searched=F
Cast=F
Trim=F

[Exceptions Value Expressions ORACLE8.0]
Case=F
Case_Searched=F
Cast=F
Trim=F

[Exceptions Value Expressions ORACLE8.1]
Case=F
Case_Searched=F
Cast=F

[Exceptions Value Expressions ORACLE9.0]
Case=F
Case_Searched=F
Cast=F

[Exceptions Value Expressions ORACLE9.1]
Case=F
Case_Searched=F
Cast=F

[Exceptions Value Expressions ORACLE9.2]
Case=F
Case_Searched=F
Cast=F

Cognos relies on the database vendors' claims that their products are upward compatible. If problems are encountered, then as Cindy states, call Cognos Support for either a workaround or a fix.
ORACLE is a tier 1 database for Cognos and thus they should be addressing any issues that are uncovered ... providing they are in fact a Cognos issue.

Cindy,

Thanks again, however you didn't show the "default" section which I speak of.

The section is as follows:

Case=F

[Exceptions General]
Case_to_decode=F

For me the issue and solution are both closed, I'm just curious as to what your fields are set to.

Flex13,

Thanks for the comment. I've spoken with Cognos and they have aknowledged my problem with Oracle 9.2. The Cogdmor.ini is a cognos configuration file i.e. cognos reads it, not oracle. The problem is that cognos cannot identify Oracle9.2 as a valid database so it goes to the default database section and reads the default values. Since my default values are set properly, Oracle 9.2 behaves properly with Impromptu. The version of the database engine, nor its upward compatibility are in question. These I'm aware of.

...Chargrams

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back