Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IMPOSSIBLE?? VB PROJECT

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrsTFB

MIS
Oct 3, 2000
US
Hey guys,
I've been sent an email with a programming request. This is over my head, but I am willing to learn. I am going to include the email exactly as it was given to me.

Let me know what you guys think, is this possible??

I need a function that does the following:

1. Pops up a dialog that allows me to check or uncheck categories from the master category list. Since the master category list changes from time to time on my computer, the function should retrieve this information automatically from outlook, no matter which machine is running the function. The user interface for the dialog box should be exactly the same as if you did the following: Right-click on a message in your inbox and select “Categories…” from the pop up menu. There should be some sort of outlook object model function call that can do this.
2. The function should return a Collection containing string items representing the categories selected by the previously mentioned dialog box.
3. When completed, I should be able to call the function like this: myCollection=SetCategories.

I need another function that does the following:

1. Accepts as an argument any outlook item (email, contact, journal item, task item, etc.)
2. Returns a collection of string items containing the various categories set in this item. The “category” property for an item currently takes all of the categories set for that item and puts them together in one long string with all of the category names separated by a “;”. I need a collection containing the items instead of one long string. For example:
a. I don’t need myItem.Categories=“Category 1;Category 2;Category 3”
b. I need myCollection=GetCategories myItem (which yields myCollection.Items(1)=”Category 1” myCollection.Items(2)=”Category 2”, etc.

This is advanced VBA programming, which is not simple. I’m asking you to help me with it not because I can’t do it, but because I don’t have time for it, and I sense that you would like to have some more programming projects. This project might give you an opportunity to advance your VB programming skill. I don’t need it right away, nor is it something that it is essential that I have, but if you can complete it, it will save me approximately 30 minutes of work per week, and possibly for others as well.

I have thought of a couple of ways to save this guy 30 minutes or more as he spends time hanging around each day, however, that is not an option.

Thanks for reading,
mrsTFB in Tennessee

I have a good 'VBA for OUTLOOK' at home. I think that's the name of the book. If you get request often for this type of programming I would invest in the book and go from there.

vbDoc
vb_doc@hotmail.com

Thanks,
I'll look into that. Does this request not seem over the top to you?

mrsTFB

Not really, usually with VBA if the user can think of it you can do it. The book is good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back