Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Importing VoicmailPro configs 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kn1ght

MIS
May 4, 2007
US
Good Morning, would someone kindly tell me how to (step by step) import a vmp file into VoicemailPro?
I have saved some customers VoicemailPro configurations from out in the field and I would like to go over them here at the office, but having trouble importing the saved .vmp file info into my VoicemailPro. .
I am using Voicemail Pro Client 3.2 (28) and my customer is on 3.2 as well.
I have no problems importing the .cfg file into Manager but VoicemailPro is killn me :(

I am quite new to IPO, but learning more everyday, and it has certainly been challenging! :)

you have to "import" a .mdb file, not the .vmp
you get the .mdb files from the "export" process built into voicemail pro

I belive the VMP file has to be placed into the C:\Program Files\Avaya\IP Office\Voicemail Pro\VM folder in order to function. I think you would have to rename it root.vmp, but I would save the existing one first somewhere else. You would then probably have to restart the VMPRO server, or at least the services.

The import proccess actually changes the MDB file to a VMP file if I recall correctly, and places it in this folder. I remember playing with, and looking at where the imported MDB file went when I first started doing IPO, and the file that changed was the root.vmp file. I am sure the info is in the knowledge base better than I have said it.

Thank you both for responding :)
I was told there is a way to use winzip and save the file type as mdb (or change the file name) and then import to VMP, but I wasnt sure how to do it, everytime I tried it didnt work, ever tried this process?

What are you trying to accomplish? I have never had to deal with the vmp file. Don't even know what it is. I have never had a problem importing an mdb.

I export the VMPro config, then save the IPO config to the same folder as the mdb file. Using windows "send to" compressed folder, I send both files to a compressed folder and then email that zip file to my email.

aarenot and Kn1ght,

when importing the *.mdb file it has nothing to do with the vmp file. no matter what your source .mdb file is called, the import replaces the VMData.mdb file in the C:\Progam Files\Avaya\IP Office\Voicemail Pro folder.

the mdb file has all the modules, start points, user variables, system settings etc...everything configuration wise. the .mdb does not include the wav files for the greetings/messages. those have to be copied over manually.

ronromano - I am trying to keep a copy of all my VoicemailPro configs of all my clients on my laptop so I can refer to them off-site. When you "save as" from VoicemailPro the type of file that it saves is the .vmp. Unfortunately, you cannot import the .vmp and am trying to convert .vmp file to .mdb which is importable.

Gibsonic - so I shouldnt do a 'save as'? I should just copy and paste the VMData.mdb file and that will achieve my goal?

Well, on the File menu, four commands down from "Save as" is "Import or Export". Give it a whirl...

Gibsonic,
Yeah, you're right, I guess I was confused or misread something some time ago, or didn't remmeber it correctly. The VMP file is not going to have the data the MDB file would have.

Knight,
I was thinking it could be converted to MDB, but I was mistaken. I use export to a file folder, then compress the folder, and EM it to myself, along with any other data I want to back up. The VMPRO files will probably be blocked by EM servers if not compressed.

For all those who are interested:

Voicemail pro has two services and one executable:
vmprov5svc.exe and vmpdbsvc.exe are the services and
the VoicemailPro.exe which is the GUI to program VM Pro.

The VoicemailPro.exe is were you program the call flows, define the .wav files etc.
The call flow is stored in the .mdb file, the .wav files are stored on the harddisk. If you are finished then you must select "Save and make live", this button activates the vmpdbsvc.exe service which compiles the VMData.mdb file and all wav files into one file called Root.vmp.
The vmprov5svc.exe service is the actual VoiceMail server, this service uses the Root.vmp file which hold all actions programmed.
It is possible to deactivate the vmpdbsvc.exe and delete the VMData.mdb and all .wav files and still VM pro will work.

It is also possible to create a Root.vmp file in the office, rename it to customer.vmp, and with the "Remote Call Flow" action you can use this "customer.vmp" file within the VM Pro of the customer.

This gives you the advantage that the customer cannot change the VM Pro actions as you have the necessery files in the office ( VMData.mdb and all .wav files ) and not on the customers PC.
It is not possible to decompile the .vmp file back to a .mdb file.

I think I had this, and the include function kind of mushed around in my head, but could not pull it out. I have never used it, just remembered reading it, and wondering about how it would be applied when reading it.

Thanks for clarifying Intigrant. I pretty well botched it myself.

I appreciate everyones time and comments, its nice to have support, hopefully someday I will be able to return the favor :)

Kn1ght,
Keep at it dude, you will amaze yourself if you do not allow yourself to settle for being an adequate tech. Do what it takes to learn, read IPO TT's, even ones that you dont understand, apply your mind to others posts as if it were your situation, read PDF's. I have a lot to learn myself, but am amazed at how far I have come since I started working IPO in Jan 06. Another great site IPOFFICEINFO.COM will help you.

aarenot you are right
but i stopted reading posts on ccc cbc contactstoren and even vmpro
if you never have to install those things then you lose your intrest in it
sometimes i wish i had another job :)

ACA - Implement IP Office
ACA - Voice Services Management

To save a copy of the Voicemail Pro configuration:
Go to the file drop down – choose Import or Export:

Click on the Export call flows radio button – Click Next

Click on the Browse Button

Browse to where you want to save the file and name it – Click Open

Click Next

Click Finish – Then click on the Close Button, the file has been saved

To Navigate to the Saved configuration files:
Begin at the C drive – Click on Program Files

Double Click on the Avaya Folder

Double Click on the IP Office Folder

Double Click on the Manager Folder

Scroll down to the IP Office configuration (.cfg) file. You can right-click on it and copy it, then paste it anywhere to save this configuration in any other folder or saving media, such as a CD, Jazz drive, Jump drive, etc.

To save a copy of the Voicemail Pro configuration (.mdb) file, do the same steps as above but navigate to the Voicemail Pro folder instead of the Manager folder.

If emailing the files try zipping/compressing them since they will probably be blocked by the email server if you do not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back