Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Importing tapes into Legato? Possible?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

calvin

ISP
Jul 12, 1998
US
Hi.

I have Legato Networker 5.52 running on 2 separate Unix servers. I would like to know if I can take a tape from one server and recover the data onto the other server.

When I put one server's tape into the other server, NetWorker will read the tape's label, but eject, saying "Tape is not in media index".

Thanks

Only a suggestion, as I have not tried it, but try making sure the tape label from server1 exists in server2 by using add/media. then I suspect you won't get the message. Mike davison
mike.davison@avon.com

You can scan the tape on the other server with the scanner command. If you make a client with the same name on the other server you even can restore the tape on that machine, or if you know which SSID you want to restore on a specific client you can redirect it to that client.

Regards, Jack van Bokstel

Have you attempted a "Directed Recover"? So long as both servers can see one another, you should be able to perform a directed recover from the source server, by mapping the appropriate drives to the destination server, browse to the data you wish to recover and perform the operation.

Example ServerA = Source, ServerB = Destination.

On ServerA fire up Winworkr and choose Directed Recover, a list of available clients and servers should appear. Choose ServerA as the Source(Recover From).

Choose ServerB as the Destination(Recover To).

Select the appropriate browse time.

Set your recover options to the mapped drive on ServerA that is mapped to the location on ServerB that you wish to recover the data to. ( X: C$ on ServerB )

Mark the appropriate directories / files and start the recover operation.

If you have no entries in the Directed Recover list, you will need to review your current configuration.

Hope this helps.

CF

You can do a Saveset Recover on the server of any clients data using nwadmin, then copy across to the required box. You can also run nwadmin on any other client (not the server) and recover other clients data there. You need to alter a clients Remote Access List to set which clients can recover other clients data, etc.

Hi.

Thanks for the tips. I'll try to investigate the scanner command.

The directed recover wouldn't work because the two machines are in two different cities and I cannot get the approval to restore 4 GB worth of data across the company's only T-1 connection (go figure...)

Thanks again!

Hi,

I also have Legato Networker 6.0.1 running on 2 separate Unix servers and also faced the same problem.

Before the scanner command is run, media such as pool should be created in target server. Also, I treat the source server as client and create it in target server. Then, the "scanner -i" command can be run with no error.

# mminfo -r name,savetime,volume -s aidcd02 -c aidcp01 -v
name date volume
/tmp/collins 08/31/01 u03

# nsrinfo -s aidcd02 -c aidcp01
scanning client `aidcp01' for all savetimes from the backup namespace on server aidcd02
/tmp/collins, date=999243727 Fri Aug 31 15:42:07 2001
/tmp//<1>/, date=999243727 Fri Aug 31 15:42:07 2001
/tmp//<2>/, date=999243727 Fri Aug 31 15:42:07 2001
/tmp/, date=999243727 Fri Aug 31 15:42:07 2001
/tmp//, date=999243727 Fri Aug 31 15:42:07 2001
/, date=999243727 Fri Aug 31 15:42:07 2001
6 objects found

However, the following error message appear when I try to recover /tmp/collins.

# recover -s aidcd02 -c aidcp01 /tmp
recover: Current working directory is /tmp/
recover> add collins
/tmp
1 file(s) marked for recovery
recover> recover
Recovering 1 file into its original location
Volumes needed:
Unknown
Requesting 1 file(s), this may take a while...
Total estimated disk space needed for recover is 15 KB.

NSR server `aidcd02': Cannot find the volume needed

recover: waiting 30 seconds then retrying
recover: error, Cancelled
Received 0 file(s) from NSR server `aidcd02'
Recover completion time: Mon Sep 3 11:01:31 2001

Any ideas on this situation? Thanks!

collinsyun,
I had the same error message although the problem was uncovered under different circumstances. I run the NT verson of Networker and I was sent an application called MDBFC.exe that fixed index problems between 6.0 and 6.0.1 databases. If you go to the NT Networker 6.0.1 Release Supplement guide, on page 38 of 51 in the pdf mentions the Erroneous Record Fragments in the Media Database bugs (LGTpa25542, 25763). I don't know if this will help, but I have been watching your thread since I had the exact same error message upon restore. I guess the next thing I would try after that is running scanner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back