Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Importing tables from SQL 2008 on a different domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

akalinowski

IS-IT--Management
Oct 3, 2006
US
OK so i have a VPN to a web server that is MSSQL 2008
i'm trying to import data into my datawarehouse (MSSQL 2005) so i can make some reports combining web and retail store sales.
SSIS is not installed on the web server db and the guys in charge of the website do not want it installed. i can odbc data no problem but when i try to schedule the SSIS package it errors out on me because of credentials.
i try to store the credentials but i'm not sure what i'm doing wrong.
what is the best way to approach this?
thanks.

akalinowski

Storing creds can be a funny business.

Heres what i often do:

This seems a good description. I use an XML file. Make sure the location of this file is secure (make sure only people who are allowed to see the passwords can access the file).

Then when you schedule the package, set the config file within the agent job. Job done.

Dan

----------------------------------------

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr. Seuss

Computer Science is no more about computers than astronomy is about telescopes - EW Dijkstra
----------------------------------------

thank you!
i'll give this a crack.

akalinowski

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back