Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Importing style sheets

Status
Not open for further replies.

waynesworld

Technical User
Feb 1, 2002
US
I've recently mastered the basics of Style Sheets since I am about to get involved in book production. Now I hear I can simplify and quicken production futher by importing text from Word docs that have style sheets applied to text in the form of codes (for instance, <RND> would mean Recipe Nutrition Data). Supposedly I should be able to assign this code to a style sheet in Quark in the Get Text dialog box by checking &quot;Include Style Sheets&quot;. However, it prompts me to &quot;Rename New Style&quot; to import it but it doesn't work--that style doesn't apply when text comes in. Anyone know the answer?

Thanks,
Wayne

You will want to &quot;append&quot; you new document with the style sheets.

Go File -> Append, then click on the file that has the sheets you want to copy, then import all you need from the next box.

My recommendation: Name your styles in the Word file, save it as a template for your writers, then set a Quark template up with the same styles, but defined the way you want. Import the Word document, including styles, with the &quot;Use Existing&quot; option (I use Quark 4.11 Mac). This way, it doesn't matter too much how much your writer messes up the style or has the fonts. Your biggest problem could be that both Quark and Word have a &quot;Normal&quot; style that can't be replaced. Solutions: 1) Don't use the Word normal style. 2) If your writers insist on using it, it will be renamed Word1, and you can delete and replace it with, say, &quot;Body Text&quot; that you set up in your template.
I've published several thousand pages using this technique, and even though there are some wrinkles (such as needing to replace writer's italic and bold with their true font versions) it really speeds things up.

Dallas and George,
Thank you for your help. Now that I solved another problem (see thread for Microsoft OLE Libraries), I will attempt to implement your suggestions.
waynesworld

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back