Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Importing QXD file to InDesign: scaling images? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

scr1bbler

Technical User
Mar 30, 2006
CA
When I open Quark files in InDesign, sometimes - not always - InDesign applies a different % scaling to the images that was originally applied in Quark.

Sometimes it's only a small percentage, sometimes it's larger. But the nature of the work requires that the images import exactly (registering issues).

Has anyone else had this problem? What, if anything, is the solution?

scr1bbler

I've had i too. While I can't be sure, I think the problem comes from the many options available in ID - in different sections of the program.

Unfortunately, I haven't found an easy answer. It seems that each time it's something else - stroke position, constrained vs non constrained, etc.

I've found the most foolproff way to handle it is to note the size and x/y positioning in Q and replicate in ID. Fortunately, we don't get many long documents with lots of pics.

Using OSX 10.3.9 on a G4

Thanks. In one sense, I'm glad it's not just me that's having this problem. I just wish there was some sort of foolproof way to ensure the proper importing of images.

Markzware has some sort of third-party QXD to INDD conversion program, though I haven't used it. Has anyone else?

I think that's for versions later than Q4, which ID can't import, they don't advertize it as foolproof.

One thing I've found on pic imports is the postion of the border/stroke. Just had it yesterday. I changed the stroke on ID to Outside and it matched the Q size.

One other thng you can try is, in the transform window, make sure that the little gizmo next to the % scale is NOT clicked so as to constrain the scale. It seems that it scales things constrained when the Q scale doesn't call for it - sometimes.

Using OSX 10.3.9 on a G4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back