Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Importing MSWord Pictures that end up B/W instead of colour!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bell2550

Programmer
May 1, 2003
CA
I create various newsletters for the community, and occasionally need to use photographs or clipart from MSWord. When I insert an object that is a new one from MSWord and in full colour, once it reaches PM (my version is 6.5), it may or may not show or print in colour. Is there a way to fix it?

Bell,

PM may not respond well to bitmaps that MSWord likes. Try saving the image as a tiff file first. Open the original graphic in something like PhotoShop or IrfanView (which is still free, I think). Then File> Place the graphic.

Good luck!

Daniel

Are you having the newsletters printed commercially? If so, then the problem is almost certainly because the MS graphic is RGB, not CMYK. If printing to a desktop printer, then I am a bit surprised, because most of them handle RGB graphics fine. But I would second anglers suggestion - open them in a graphics program and save them as a TIF.

Hi, Bell2550,

Images in MSWord are not really suitable for placing in PM.

However I believe using MS's "Imaging" can extract original images from Word and convert them to useable TIFFs for PM. (I've never had the need to use "Imaging")

Iechyd da! John
01:44 05/05/2003 BST

John

Care to explain MS IMaging? How do you access the feature?

Hello all, thanks for answering. I am very limited in graphics program choice, I have Corel8 which I am just learning. Reason I am using MSWord pics is because the only clipart I have access to is that. They are WMF files, but didn't know I could open them as Corel. Will try that.

Final printing for several of these newsletters is indeed commercial (from PDF), but they need to be printed on a laser first to make the rounds for pre-print review.

No matter what I have done some things print in colour from Word, some print in black and white and yet they are all WMF files. Will try all the suggestions I can.

Thanks!

Bell - if you have CorelDraw, I am sure it comes with quite a few samples of clipart. These are one starting point for graphics. Even if you download MS graphics from their website (and you have to have an Office program to do this) many of them come in WMF format, which you can open in Corel and then File>Export to save in a more appropriate format e.g. TIF.

My platform is Windows XP. When downloading files from MS, they come in as MPF, then once opened on my system are JPEGs. Which is why I thought they were appropriate format for PageMaker. Turns out it still doesn't work.
Could something that should have been installed e.g., filter, be missing?
:)

Hi, Bell250,

If you are creating PDFs or using a commercial printer, then you need to avoid Metafiles (WMFs) and JPGs. You need to restrict your graphics firamts to TIFF or EPS. If you have PM7, you can use native Photoshop files (PSD).

PM will import WMFs but they do not work well in the PostScript environment - the usual results involve cropping, shifting and/or colour change of the image. JPEGs is a format which sacrifices quality for speed, and were designed for efficient transmission over the 'Net, not for good quality reproduction on paper.

Extracting graphics from Word documents is possible, but you're on a loser from the start, as the quality will not really be good enough. Ideally you want the original image in TIF Format.

It is also possible to use MS's clipart by converting it to EPS in Corel Draw or AI, but do you really want to use such images which everyone instantly recognises?

Iechyd da! John
18:58 15/05/2003 BST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back