Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Importing large text file into Access table 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

SethP

Technical User
Apr 21, 2002
US
I am attempting to import a large text file, created using JCL, into Access for manipulation.
When I open a new database, and attempt to import a new table I receive an error message stating, "The Microsoft Jet database engine could not find the object '(path.txt)'. Make sure the object exists and that you spell its name and the path name correctly."
The text file has four columns, and 440,000 rows.
It this too large for access to handle, or should I export the file from JCL in a different format other than .TXT.

Thanks for you assistance-
Seth P

Hi!

Does your file actually have the .txt extention. When I have gotten this error before, that was the problem.

hth

Jeff Bridgham
Purdue University
Graduate School
Data Analyst

Yes. When I created the output file I gave it the .txt extention.
Were you able to find an extension that worked?

Hi!

.txt works, the problem was when it wasn't .txt. Are you doing this in code or through the import wizard?

Jeff Bridgham
Purdue University
Graduate School
Data Analyst

I am creating the file from JCL, using the output name of: S:\all\ep\338.jcl.txt, which is a network folder.
I have tried importing the file by using the access import wizard. I receive the error message when trying to import or link the file.

Hi Seth!

Get rid of the . before the jcl and try again.

hth

Jeff Bridgham
Purdue University
Graduate School
Data Analyst

AH! I can't believe I didn't notice that.
Thanks Jeff!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back