Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Importing JPG into Pagemaker 7 Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

pogop

Technical User
Jul 22, 2005
GB
Hello All,

I wonder if someone can help me with a problem that has come of out the blue.

I am using PM7 on a W2K machine, everytime i try and import a jpg into a page all i get is a jpg marker and the image file name instead of the image itself.

i have de/re-installed pm7 to no avail.

Nothing has changed on the machine ( no windows updates etc...) i just cant work oout why all of a sudden it has decied to do this.

Any help would be grealy appreicated.

thanks in advance
pogop

Hi, pogop,

Is the image on a local drive, not a network drive?

Is the JPG a "progressive"? Try resaving the JPG as Standard.

And while you have PS open, convert the JPG to TIFF - PM prefers TIFFs.

LIVERPOOL FC - 5 times Champions of Europe. 1977, 1978, 1981, 1984, 2005.
Iechyd da! John
Glannau Mersi, Lloegr.

Why would you resave a JPG as an EPS? The EPS format should be used only for vector graphics, otherwise it is a waste of time. A raster image saved as an EPS is a TIF with a further (unnecessary) wrapper.

Why would you resave a JPG as an EPS? The EPS format should be used only for vector graphics, otherwise it is a waste of time."

See Below

If you have a clipping path in a photoshop file - you need to save the file out as a eps file in order for the the clipping path to take. Saving as a tiff file the clipping path will not work - unless you have Quark then you can use the clipping function in Quark. Also if you save out your file as a monotone, duotone, tritone, or a quadtone - you have to save out the file as a eps file, because certain layout applications will not hold a spot color by just colorizing a grayscale tiff. Photoshop does not give you the option to save monotones, dutones, etc.. out as tiff files as well.

So it is a necessary wrapper for certain workflows.

info@prepress-online.com

"Tell'em we're comin', and hell's comin' with us.

Yes, it is necessary if you have used a duotone, but it is not necessary if you have used a clipping path. A photoshop file with a clipping path can be saved as a TIF and will work perfectly well in Pagemaker and InDesign. However, the original poster was using a JPG so it is unlikely there was any clipping path involved. That's why I suggested saving as an EPS would be a waste of time, and a TIF would be the way to go.

Well after weeks and weeks of wondering what it is ive solved it..all of the profiles stored on the machine had some how been corupted....i have re-created the profiles and hey presto!! everything works like a dream.

Thank you very much for you time and your replies.

regards
pogop.

I am trying to export a one page PageMaker file as a PDF file with a simple TIF graphic. I have tried it both in PageMaker 7 and 6.5. I have Adobe Acrobat 3.0. Running Windows XP. My computer keeps locking up, even though this worked fine in the past with 6.5. In 7 it prints the page, even though I don't want the page printed, gives me the message "could not print the postscript file" (even though it just printed it) but it never creates a pdf file. Sometimes it locks up. In 6.5 it locks up before it gets as far as printing anything. I've tried printing the file to disk as a postscript file so I could then export it as a PDF but that just locks up my computer. I can't figure out what is wrong and am wondering if this has happened to any of you? If so, advice will be welcomed.

When you create your PDF, you do not say which version of Distiller are you using - it could be 3, 4 or 5 from the info you give.

I suggest you install the latst version from your PM7 Application CD-ROM, which should be Distiller 5, and works OK on WinXP. I have my doubts about Distiller 3 and 4 on WinXP.

Make sure you have installed the Distiller5 PPD into PM's PPD folder.

More details at:
LIVERPOOL FC - 5 times Champions of Europe. 1977, 1978, 1981, 1984, 2005.
Iechyd da! John
Glannau Mersi, Lloegr.

>>I've tried printing the file to disk as a postscript file so I could then export it as a PDF <<

If you are trying to export a postscript file, this shows a lack of understanding on how to create PDFs. To make a PDF from a PM file you must first make a postscript file, which is then distilled. It can be done as a two-step operation, separating creation of the postscript file from the PDF OR it can be done in an (apparently) single step by exporting to PDF. I say 'apparently', because in PM, the same two steps are still occuring (PM->postscript->PDF).

So you either:

(1) File>Print: print to file after choosing a postscript printer, which creates a postscript file. The postscript file is then distilled after opening it in Distiller.

(2) File>Export: export directly to PDF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back