Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Importing into ACT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

putttn

Technical User
Sep 27, 2007
US
We use a company that houses our customer service information and would like to import certain fields to create contact records for all our customers in a new ACT database. They use a comma delimited export. Can ACT import that?

What we're trying to accomplish is a database of "customers", which changes daily. We acquire customers and lose customers on a daily basis and want a way to account for the additions and deletions, on a daily basis. We have a database of customers but the company that manages them does not have the marketing resources we need to manage this group of customers. Two databases that look at each other and show the changes (in and out).

Depending on the data you're bringing in, and how it identifies new contacts or contacts to be lost, itImport would be the best way to do this.

Regards,
Mike Lazarus
ACT! Evangelist
GL Computing, Aust

OK Mike, I've been looking at it.Import.Net and it may be exactly what we're looking for. We can download our customer database into a text file and, if I understand it.Import, we can then take specific fields from the download and export them into fields we have created in our contact record. This will create a contact record for each customer in ACT. Am I going down the right trail?

You can either create a new ACT! contact for each record in the txt file or, if the records match, just update the current ACT! records with the new information

Regards,
Mike Lazarus
ACT! Evangelist
GL Computing, Aust

In our case we will have to create a new ACT! contact since many of these customers have not existed in our Prospect database. There are some that will have records that match.
Is it possible to have two seperate databases (Prospects and Customers) and simply copy a contact record from the Prospects database to the Customers database?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back