Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Importing from Illustrator into Flash

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElHel

Technical User
Jul 27, 2009
GB
Hello,
I've created a text graphic in Illustrator CS2, which is stretched and with a light fill + a thin black stroke (0.1pt).
When importing into the Flash (CS3) library, I get an error message telling me that there's a compatibility problem because of the stretched text. Everything, besides the fact that the text should be stretched but isn't, looks fine in the graphic that's imported. All well and good, I go over to Illustrator and convert the text to outlines.
Then I try importing again, no error messages. But I get the problem that the outline is thicker than it was in Illustrator. Too thick. (Looks like 1 or 2pt).
I go back to Illustrator and outline the stroke, group the objects together for the sake of it, and try importing again. This time, the outline correctly displays on about 1/3 of the letters. But the rest..now have absolutely no stroke..
I then make a compound path out of all the objects. Which changed nothing, about how it imports into Flash.
I decided to just place the text as a jpeg/bitmap image in Flash, and it looks normal as in, the stroke is the right thickness and all letters have a stroke. But of course, it's pixels. And looks pretty horrible, especially where the letters get rather thin.
So I'm left clueless. Why won't the Illustrator file simply import as it should?
And how can I get it to do so? :S
Thanks
El

...how are you going about exporting from illustrator here?

...some other way? (other than file > save for web > layers to swf?)...

andrew

...i also think 0.1 of a pixel is asking quite a bit, both programs render that to screen very differently, why does it have to be 0.1 of a pixel?

...in flash, it may well look thicker, but that is the thinnest flash will go is 0.1 px...

andrew

...so really your asking for both programs to render the same way, but i don't think they really do render the same way...

andrew

Sorry for the late reply
I'm not actually exporting from Illustrator at all, as such.
I just save as an .ai file and then import into Flash (File -> Import -> Import to Library)
I'm afraid the text is, partially, somewhat small..and the stroke shouldn't be more than a fine line around the letters.
We've now solved the problem by converting the text to outlines, importing it into Flash, and then adding the outline in Flash. That seems to work alright..
Thank you :)
Shall have to remember not to create such fine designs for web, in the future
El

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back