Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Importing from Excel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daj0pe

Vendor
Jun 11, 2007
AU
Hey All.

I'm new to Act!, but familiar with Excel, & Access.

I have an excel spreadsheet, with a customer database on it, some with companies some without.

What i'm wanting to do, is import all data, if there is a company, make it relevant through the company section. I've designed my layout, with applicable fields however i've hit some hurdles;

In Access you need a Primary Key.. is this the same with act?
How can i import, so the company thing works fine?
Is Act really that hard?

thanks all :)

I believe that this should be easy to do without any add-ons.

Assumption: You have an excel spreadsheet with a header row and a bunch of contacts underneath, some with company, some without.

The first thing you must do is save the excel sheet as a .csv.

Then use the File>import function of ACT. The menus will talk you through. The most critical part is matching your header names to ACT! names - its a pain if you get this wrong, so take your time.

You would do a company import first. THEN a second import for contacts. The one thing ACT! doesn't do well is link the contact to the company. If you've matched fields correctly then ACT will insert the company name but not link the two together in ACT!. You have to press the ... button for each contact where it lists the company name.

That is a very skeletal overview - give it a go and report any difficulties.

I advise Dynamic Company Membership to make linking contacts to companies much easier.

~Melagan
______
"It's never too late to become what you might have been.

One of the good things with itImport is that it can automatically create the companies and link the contacts as it's doing the import.

Regards,
Mike Lazarus
ACT! Evangelist
GL Computing, Aust

I have just imported companies followed by customers but now have around 800 to link together!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back