Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Importing From Excel (or CSV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

pappaj333

IS-IT--Management
Jul 19, 2005
US
I need to export data from my DB to an Excel/CSV file (the report data is fairly static, and runs too slowly otherwise).

When creating the report using the report wizard, CR imports the Excel columns as fields and one of the Excel columns (Product #) is imported as a "number" type field. However, I want it to be imported as a "text" or "string" type field.

I've tried changing the column type in Excel to "Text" and resaving, but that doesn't seem to work.

The report keeps resulting in most of the product codes being displayed as empty (I think because they have text in a "number" field).

CR says that it pulls the field type from the data source (Excel in this case). What do I do to fix this?

Thanks!

How can a database be slower than the process of exporting to, and then reporting off of Excel?

As the thread should have enlightened you, Excel is a horrible data source. If you have the option to export to Access or any real database, go with that.

-k

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back