Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Importing from ACT into InDesign

Status
Not open for further replies.

colorproof

Technical User
Feb 14, 2005
US
Hi, I am working on a yellow pages directory and the client information is stored in ACT. Is there any way to automate the process of importing the database information into InDesign without having to manually cut and paste? I understand that there may need to be some sort of middleman application such as Excel. Perhaps the process would be to import the ACT database into Excel, then have the Excel data imported into InDesign. This seems like a pretty complicated process that is over my head--does anyone know how this can be done, or is there a script or application that may assist me in that operation? Thanks so much!

ID can merge from various data sources. It's much too complicated to give a short answer here.

Go to ID Help/Search and enter Merge.

I tried searching with the keywords "merge" and "datamerge" and associated words to no avail. I know this is a very complicated process and if there is anyone who has the time and patience to give me answers, it would be much appreciated. I'm also researching this topic myself although I know I won't be able to accomplish it myself without the help of a pro. :)

you have to have the pagemaker plugin pack to do the data merge, I dont know why they dont include it in the standrd build especially with as much digital on demand prininting thats being done now.

Chad

Yoderman94.com

Hi Chad,

So this pagemaker plugin pack is for InDesign CS? Thanks for your help by the way.

Yeha, it adds a bunch of features found in pagemaker. I dont know if you can but it seperatly from adobe, but I think that it is what you will need.

Chad

Yoderman94.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back