Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Importing Favorites tthrough Group Policy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jtizzle

Technical User
Feb 2, 2006
CA
Hello Everyone,

I'm using Windows Server 2003 and im trying to import a list of favorites into the main Group Polucy we have. Whenever i try to import favorites from an exported bookmark.htm file it never works. Are there any suggestions?

When you say it "Doesn't work", can you clarify this more. Do you mean it "seamingly" works but doesn't actually put the favourites on the client. Or dp you get errors in the GPMC?

Can you not just add them manually in the GPO?

Hope this Helps.

Neil J Cotton
njc Information Systems
Systems Consultant

Well I can add them manually but when I try to import a list of favorites about 400 links long it does not work. I'm begining to think that Windows Server 2003 Group Polucy does not allow me to import favorites only import folder structure. Any ideas?

what exactly do you mean by "list of favourites".
The import lets you specify folders of which contains url shuortcut files. That is the only way you can do it.

you can create the favourites on any machine, and they all save to the "c:\documents and settings\%profile%\favourites" and then when you add that folder via "import" in the GPOE.

If by list you mean that you have a text file with URLs in it, then we would have to try and create a script that would create the favourites client side, or server side (once) and then apply the GPO with that folder imported.

Hope this Helps.

Neil J Cotton
njc Information Systems
Systems Consultant

Neil - you must be British - it's
"c:\documents and settings\%profile%\favorites"

no "u" in favorites! :)

But you're right. You can't (IIRC) import a .htm file that's been exported from IE, as jtizzle is attempting to do.

Pat Richard, MCSE MCSA:Messaging CNA
Want to know how email works? Read for yourself -

Pat....I am British. :p

Hope this Helps.

Neil J Cotton
njc Information Systems
Systems Consultant

Thanks for all your help. I finally got it to import.

No problems...Don't thank us...pay us!
Glad it works.

Hope this Helps.

Neil J Cotton
njc Information Systems
Systems Consultant

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back