Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

importing excel spreadsheets into access : Error 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viddy

IS-IT--Management
Sep 12, 2003
GB
Can anyone help?

I am using Excel 2002 and Access 2002 on Microsoft XP client. I am trying to use the import function or the link function within access 2002 to import/link to the spreadsheet data.

Everytime i try this, i get the classic "access has had a critical error - send a report to microsoft".

it works fine with access 97.
as far a i know office,xp, access and excel are patched to the latest level.

can anyone help?

Regards

Viddy

This may help:

Go into Control Panel
Open Administrative Tools
Open Data Sources (ODBC)
Top tab = "User DSN"
Verify "Excel Files" is listed. If not "Add" them.

CT

Thanks for your help, but unfortunately the excel file entry does exist in the User DSN section. I tried to remove then re add it, this had no effect on the situation.

Any other ideas?

Regards

Viddy

Check you Excel Spreadsheet. Make sure it has:
1. One Field name per column
2. No Merged cells
3. possibly ... Last column has info in each Row (create one if necessary, (i.e. x) so Access knows where each row ends.

If these don't work, try copying array (not sheet) to new workbook. There may be something in a cell outside of your data range that is causing the problem.

No Luck! I think it might be a problem with the Spreadsheet wizard. It is not getting to the point of detailing the spreadsheet layout, it is crashing before that. I tried all that you said but still no luck.

Regards

Viddy

Do any of your cells contain "Hard Returns" where it makes the text wrap at a specific point?

Have you tried importing it into a new Access database for testing to see if it is Excel or the Access database?

I have tried it with a whole series of different Excel Documents - none work they all crash the application.

I have tried to import into a new database again with the same result.

What I have managed to do is import the document into Access 97 rather than 2002. So the problem is, I suspect something to do with the XP or Access 2002 installation!

Any Ideas?

Regards

Viddy

Did you do a full install of Access with everything set to run from computer (not run on first use)?

The Access wizards are co-dependent. If you try to run one for the first time which depends on another wizard which hasn't yet been run, it will crap out.

Try re-installing Access 2002 with all the stuff set to run from your computer.

Another likely problem area is the registry of the wizards.

You may need to update the registry to point to the correct version of the accwiz.dll (especially if you are running multiple versions of Access). There is a Microsoft Knowlegde base article on this problem.

You can find the article at support.microsoft.com. The article number is 303805.

go to microsoft office updates choose office xp suite download the acclnk.exe. This is an update that works with access and excel. send me an email and I will send you the update.

Thanks for your help, there was indead a problem with the version of the ACCWIZ.DLL. There were two on my machine. 1 in the system folder the other in Office Xp folder. The one in the system folder was version 8 and the one in the office folder was version 10. When executing the regsvr32 command on the version 10 dll the problem was solved.

Thanks so much for your help.

Regards

Viddy

Viddy...

Thank you - also solved the same problem i had in 97 STAR

----------------------------------------
There are 2 types of computer, the prototype and the obsolete!!

Go to officeupdates on the microsoft site and download the acclnk.exe and install it. You might also install the odbc addin also. This should take care of your problem. I am not sure why these were not included in the OfficeXP Sp1 or Sp2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back