Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Importing data into repeating fields in FM 5.x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 23, 2003
US
I have a single text file coming in from a web site to process. The file contains basic information for a single record in Filemaker, plus a listing of items to be brought into a repeating field in the newly created record record. The values for the repeating field appear as separate lines of data in the original text file. Does anyone know of any way to import those lines of data as values in a repeating field in a single record?

I left such file/problem aside more than a year ago....

Like to see the solution....

If not ask too much....

Mail : jwes@pandora.be

Thanks.

JW

i recall from the old days (early filemaker) that repeating fields are seperated with a particular ASCII character. but i can't remember what character it was! so if your text file was formatted as:
data1 <tab>data2<ASCII#>data3<ASCII#><tab>data4<PARAGRAPH MARK> you could import into 3 fields, data1, data 2 & 3 as two items in a repeating field, and data3. anybody recall what the ASCII character delimiter was?

Karl88

The seperator for repeating fields is a carriage return. You see this as a square when you kick data out to a text file. Filemaker won't import data directly into a repeating field from a text file. Each line in a text file is ended by a carriage return and filemaker takes each line as a new record and each delimiter has a field value. I am not sure I following what you are trying to say. Can you expand on this?

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back