Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Importing data into a pre-existing table

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 9, 2000
US
Hello, <br><br>I have an access table name V_Test that I upsized to MS SQL Server 6.5, but&nbsp;&nbsp;now I need to combine the data from the V_Test table into a pre-existing table called Tests in the SQL Server which has the exact same Fields as the V_Test table. Can someone please help....<br><br>HarelyPhill

Hi,<br><br>First of all when you are ready to export your table into SQL, follow these instructions and you should be successful:<br><br>1. Right click on the table you want to export and choose export.&nbsp;&nbsp;<br><br>2.You will get a dialogue box that request where you want to export the table to?&nbsp;&nbsp;The first thing you need to do is go down to 'file type' and click the arrow to select 'ODBC databases' (its the last choice in the list)<br><br>3. when you select that you will then get a window that ask you to export 'V_test' table to: ______ in ODBC database.&nbsp;&nbsp;(Here you just type in the table name you are exporting to in SQL.)<br><br>4.Once you do that a dialogue box comes up where you are requested to to select data source.&nbsp;&nbsp;** Be sure you select the tab for machine data source.**&nbsp;&nbsp;In this list you should see your data source name.&nbsp;&nbsp;Select it.<br><br>5. Once you do that depending on the security you have set up, it may ask you to log in.&nbsp;&nbsp;After you do that the export will begin.&nbsp;&nbsp;**You can watch the status on the bottom of the screen in the status bar.&nbsp;&nbsp;It will give you indication when the export is complete.<br><br>That should be it.&nbsp;&nbsp;You can check to be sure the data has been loaded.&nbsp;&nbsp;I hope this works for you.&nbsp;&nbsp;Good luck!<br>

Thanks for responding...<br><br>I did what you said but I when type in the V table for choosing where to export I get an error saying that there is already a table named V. It won't let me update the V table with new data from table V_Tests. Its like I need to create a new table. <br><br>Let me try to explain my question better..<br>I need to add more data to the V table in the Sql server using the export or upsizing tool. The access table's fields are identical to the V table in the SQL Server. Basically I just need to merge two Identical tables together.<br><br>Hope this explains things better<br><br>HarleyPhil

There is probably a way to do this in one step, but you could first import V_Tests from Access to SQL Server into a table called V_temp.&nbsp;&nbsp;This will be the slow part, cause that's DTS for you.<br><br>Then in the query analyzer<br>INSERT Tests<br>SELECT *<br>FROM V_temp<br><br>After you check things are OK<br>DROP TABLE V_temp<br><br>Not elegant, but it will work. <p>Malcolm Wynden<br><a href=mailto:wynden@island.dot.net>wynden@island.dot.net</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back