Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Importing data from AS/400 to MS Access using VB

Status
Not open for further replies.

srikala

Programmer
May 7, 2002
IN
Hello,

I am using MS Access 97 as back end for one of my ongoing projects.For this project,I need to move data from AS/400 to MS Access table.

Is there a way to do this?

Any kind of help in this regard would be greately appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Srikala

Yes, there is.

You can use ODBC, which I don't recommend, it's slow and unreliable, or data queues, which can be read/written both ia a VB environment and AS400 environment, and fast.
In order to do that you'll need some programming in the AS400 end in order to update the data queue, and you'll need Client Access with SDK installed in the PC where you would develop you're project in order to use the data queue controls for reading the data queue.

Thanks a lot for the help.

But can I have a more detailed explanation to that,please as I am quite new to AS/400.

Thanks in advance,
Srikala

OK, here goes.

A dataqueue is basically a "message file" that has some interesting features, and the more interesting ones are:

1. You can create them with the atributte FIFO ( First In First Out).

2. After a message is read from the data queue it is automatically removed from it.

These are the features that lead me to use it for communication purposes between PC's databases and AS/400 databases.

To use it you need to know about two API's for AS400, QSNDDTAQ and QRCVDTAQ. Check it out through the following links:

From the PC end the data queues can be accessed through the following controls, included in SDK for Client Access 3.2.0 or Client Access Express 5.1, through Client Access Object Library to include has a reference in your VB project.

cwbDataQueueTextBox

In case you want to implement such a process, and beeing new to AS/400, please contact me through the following mail:

paulo.torre@usa.net

...because there is a lot more information then this that you need to know, as for example a simple vb project with which you can check how dataqueues work.

But remember, in order to work you'll need to install Client Access, preferablly Express 5.1.

By the way, you'll need to do some programming in the AS/400, I use RPG, and you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back