Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

importing data from Access97 into Oracle8 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dummie2

MIS
Mar 28, 2000
US
Oracle 8 has just been installed and I'm not real familiar w/it.  I do know a little SQL, but really haven't worked w/ it too much to feel confident.  I have about 3600 records in a flat table in Access97 with columns for 'address', 'po box','cost center','office name', 'zip code', 'city' 'county', and I want to get it all into a one table of about 160 tables in Oracle8.  How can I use either SQL or an Oracle8 GUI feature to do this?

The simplest way is to create an ODBC DSN, link the Oracle table in Access, and do a simple append query in Access.&nbsp;&nbsp;For only 3600 records, this should be a breeze.<br>--Jim

I agree with Jim, but sometimes Access can be pretty slow in adding the data into Oracle--it wants to transfer all of the records at once--which takes a lot of memory and wastes time building big &quot;undo&quot; and &quot;rollback&quot; files.&nbsp;&nbsp;We've found that after we link the Oracle table into access, it is often faster to simply select a group of 500 to 1,000 records with your mouse and &quot;drag and drop&quot; them into the matching Oracle Table within Access97.&nbsp;&nbsp;<br><br>Hope that helps..<br><br>By the way..<br><br>If you use Oracle 8's Access to Oracle Wizard be careful when appending records.&nbsp;&nbsp;The wizard deletes any records which exist in the destination tables.&nbsp;&nbsp;So change the Access database filename and use a SQL select into statement in Oracle to append the records (oracle appends fast).&nbsp;&nbsp;<br><br>Does anyone have a generic routine to use a cursor to append just a few records at a time and then &quot;Commit&quot; the changes?&nbsp;&nbsp;If so, could you please send me a copy to <A HREF="mailto:alaskan@mail.com">alaskan@mail.com</A>?<br><br>....Ward<br><A HREF="mailto:alaskan@mail.com">alaskan@mail.com</A><br><br><br>

If you extract the data out of Acce4ss into a space or comma delimited file (my preferences), you can use SQL*Loader to load the data that way. I've been doing this loads with flat files since '86 and it's never failed me.

Here is an update cursor that may help out....<br><br>DECLARE<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;CURSOR sal_cursor IS<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;SELECT sal<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;FROM emp<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;WHERE deptno = 30<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;FOR UPDATE OF sal NOWAIT;<br>BEGIN<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;FOR emp_record IN sal_cursor LOOP<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;UPDATE emp<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;SET sal=emp_record.sal * 1.10<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;WHERE CURRENT OF sal_cursor;<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;END LOOP;<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;COMMIT;<br>END;

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back