Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Importing/copying text

Status
Not open for further replies.

BSman

Programmer
Apr 16, 2002
US
I'm using Quark 5 for Windows. When I paste text from another application I would like to set the style that will be used for the text before I paste it into my Quark document, but I can't figure out a way to do that. Since Quark does not have a text editor window (like Pagemaker) where you can easily see the entire document at one time, it can be a real hassle to set sections of text to a style (or font) after importing, especially when the default import is 12 point and you need to go to 8 or 7 point.

Also, is there a way to get a font setting dialog box like the one with the style setting option? Using the drop down menu to first select a font (and not from a drop down box!), then separately select point size, bold, etc., is an impossible hassle?

And, with styles is there a way to include other settings within a style, such as leading?

Thanks,
Bob

Bob, If you look under "view" in the menu bar and select "show measurements" you will get a window with the font, size, paragraph format etc. options.

also, if you set the specs of your text box before pasting in new text, the new text should assume the pre-defined format.

I am not sure how you are building your document, but you should be able to create custom style sheets under "edit","style sheets". You may have to go to the page and apply the syle to the desired text, but if you are using linked text boxes you could apply the style throughout the entire text flow.

I use both pagemaker and quark in our workflow, Quark should be able to do everything you are used to doing in pagemaker (and more) you just have to take a new approach.

hope this helps

A slightly less technical solution would be to import your text - which runs out of the box - as normal. Highlight part of it and then hold down ctrl A (Pc) or Apple A (Mac). This will highlight the text that is not shown also. When you resize, it will all be affected at once.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back