Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Importing and mapping denormalized data

Status
Not open for further replies.

rasticle

Programmer
Sep 25, 2006
US
Hi,

This is probably easier than I'm making this out to be. If I have a data table that is denormalized and I want to import the data into a normalized database what steps do I take? What I have is very simple I have a table with facility and contact information. I want to seperate the data into existing facility and contact tables. How do I append that data and keep the information linked?

By the way, I did search for this on the forum and didn't see it, so if you can just post a link that would be great!

Thanks!

Hi,

HOW is it denormalized? Please post an example.

Typically, you would perform a multiple UNION query, that "rearranges" the data in query steps.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my old subtlety...
for a NUANCE![tongue][/sub]

Right, so the actual facility information it in the correct format. But the contact information is repeated. So there could be many facilities that have the same person as a contact and since the data is in a flat file format the contact information is repeated. I need to get the contact information into it's own table so it is not repeated.

I have already tried out the wizard and it seemed like that would be a quick easy way to do this type of import. I need to append the data to already existing tables and also keep the relationships between the contacts and facilities.

I can't be this stupid. This has to be some simple fix.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back