Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Importing AND Appending Tables in Access??

Status
Not open for further replies.

litsz02

Technical User
Aug 26, 2004
US
I have 2 databases, one for the West Coast and one for the East. They are exactly identical in Table Structure and names. There are about 30 tables.

The problem I am facing is that we need to bring all the data into ONE database. I've found the Import functionality helpful, but i am unsure how to Append the data together. It will import it into one database, but creates separate tables (ie. Strategy and Strategy1)

Does anyone have any guidance concerning this? Thanks!!!

Take a look at APPEND query (INSERT INTO ...)

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ222-2244

Isn't there an easier way than to create 30 append queries for each table?

I thought I had rememembered on the Import Wizard there was an option to append to an existing table when I import? I'm just not familiar with Access 2000 very much.

Thanks for your response!

Yes, you can append during the import process. I believe the fields have to be in the same order and named the same. Just follow the wizard and it should be clear. If you are trying to import into a brand new database, just make a copy of one database and use that as the database that will be appended to. You may have an issue with auto numbers being the same in both tables but I am not sure.

I hope I have given you SOME help. :)

Dawn

Thanks so much! that worked much better. Thanks everyone!!

Hi, this the same problem I have. But do not know what Dawn referred to by 'follow the wizard'. Can't seem to find a wizard for import macros.

Power is Knowledge
Knowledge is Power

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back