Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

importing & exporting notes mail to another notes user

Status
Not open for further replies.

miguel1973

Technical User
Jan 16, 2003
GB
Hi,
When importing mail from another lotus notes user, is it possible to determine whereabouts the mail will finish up? I want to put these mails in a notes folder but they always end up in the sent folder, I can move them to the folder but a copy always stays in the sent folder and then if I delete the copy in the sent folder the copy that I moved to the notes folder also gets deleted.

Thanks
Miguel

Every document in the mail databse is only stored once ---> although you might see it in different folders or views it is unique. Once you delete it from one folder you delete it completely. Therefore: Don't delete the mail from the sent-folder - just REMOVE it. You will then no longer see it in the sent-folder but it will still remain in the folder that you put it in.

Hi Geier,
What do you exactly mean by REMOVE?

Thanks
Miguel

When you go into the sent-folder and press the 'delete' button the system asks you whether you want to delete the document or just remove it - here you must press remove.

Hi,

Just copy the mails in the source database, then select the folder in the target database where you want them and do a paste.
This always works and puts the docs in the folder you want. No need to use import and export functions.

By the way: we changed the template of the mailbox to make sure when users drag files from the sent folder to other folders the mail is removed from the sent folder automatically.
Also when users choose "Send and File" the mail automaticaly only shows up in the target folder.

The result is that the sent folder (which is a view and not a folder) only contains messages that are not stored in any other folder. This makes it a lot more easy for our users.
I wonder why Lotus does not think about this....

Kind regards,

Dominik Malfait
dominik@amazingit.com

Hi Dominik,
how do you change the template of the mailbox?

Thanks

You open the template in the Notes designer and then you modify the shared actions and the Sent view.

I can not share the whole source code with you to do this because my company sells these enhancements.

However these modifications are not that difficult to make. If you ask an experienced Notes developer in your company he /she can do this for you in about 10 minutes.

Kind regards,

Dominik Malfait
dominik@amazingit.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back