Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Importing Accounts

Status
Not open for further replies.

ommer

IS-IT--Management
Mar 14, 2002
NL
Dear All,

I'm having trouble importing my current accounts & contact database into MS CRM.

I can import the Contacts, but I want to import the companies as Accounts, and there isn't an option for it in the import wizard, only contacts and leads. I can link the "company" field to the "associated account" field while importing the contacts but then it comes up with the "find account" dialog box and you have to manually link it to an EXISTING account, which isn't there.

I've got approx. 2000 different accounts so I would hate to have create them all by hand ! I've looked into SQL server to see whether I could just import it straight into CRM, but there are several unique id's like account id which is a randomly created code.

Does anyone have an idea as to how to import Accounts ?

Thanks a million !

Ommer

Hi Ommer,
I've used the MS CRM Data Migration Framework to import data into MS CRM. I brought in my Accounts and Contacts info this way.

Basic procedure is:
Initialise the CDF (Common Data Format database)
Load your data into the CDF (I used DTS for this)
Cleanse & map dropdown list data (using provided stored procedures in CDF database)
Run Migration

It's not very straightforward but I had over 6,500 customers and 10,000 Contacts so it was worthwhile.

Richie

Hi Datapac,

Thanks for your reply.

I've tried to use the Data Migration Framework, but I am not an SQL expert, so I failed the Migration. I managed to put the data into the SDF database with Access, but when I ran the migration nothing happened.

If you would, could you describe a bit more in detail as to the steps I would have to take to get the data migrated into the CRM database? You would really help me a lot !

Thanks for your help,

Ommer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back