Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Important question regarding merging MiVB clusters

Status
Not open for further replies.

brewski6666

Technical User
Jul 15, 2008
CA
Description of the current setup:
Customer has a 9 MiVB in a cluster (ICP1-to ICP9)
The customer has requested to migrate the users of ICP1, ICP2 and ICP3 to a new vMCD with a new Micollab (the customer wants to use Micollab features such as Micollab softphones). ICP1, ICP2 and ICP3 users represent 80% of all cluster users
Project in progress:
- I created a new clustered vMCD (SDS sharing with a new Micollab)
- I configured from scrach all users of ICP1, ICP2 and ICP3 in the Micollab and vMCD
Final goal:
- Remove ICP1, ICP2 and ICP3 from current cluster
- merge the cluster (vMCD + Micollab) with the ICP4-ICP9 cluster)
NOTE: Both clusters have the same name.
I need your advice on this final step (cluster of vMCD+ Micollab+ ICP4-ICP9).
After removing ICP1,ICP2 and ICP3 from the cluster, what are the steps de get the new vMCD+ Micollab clustered with the remaining ICP’s (ICP4 to ICP9)?.
The VMCD has the most accurate configuration, so can I synch. From the vMCD to the other ICP’s? and what are the steps in detail?
Thank you.

really need your help for this one, any suggestion?

I would have done this slightly differently. I would have clustered the new vMiVB into the existing cluster, move the users over to it from ICP 1,2 and 3 using exports and imports, remove ICP 1,2 and 3 from the cluster and then introduced the MiCollab as the final step. There is a detailed step-by-step guide on how to add a greenfield MiCollab server into a brownfield MiVB cluster in the MiCollab I&M pdf. Then depending on your licensing which I am going to assume is normal Enterprise IP user licensing, you would need to uplift them to UCCv4 licensing for the users to benefit from the MiCollab softphone, mobile twinning (EHDU) etc. There is a detailed step-by-step guide on how to do this in the UCC User Licensing Self Study available on Mitel online.

Thanks Devolution for the answer.
the reasons why i planned the project as i mentioned are:
- the client wanted a zero down time
- at the same time, we had to change the ACD agents from Hot desk to Micollab softphone, the client needed to deploy the softphones without disrupting the call center.
for all these reasons, I had to configure the vMCD+ Micollab in parallel with the current systems to allow the deployment of softphones (around 200).

I would break the ICP4-9 cluster and re-add them to the new vMCD+ Micollab cluster to be new members.

The only issue in doing this is from what I can see are -
1) secondary elements will be removed, and you will need to add them back in after you have joined the new cluster
2) inter-networking routing will not function at least in the duration when you de-cluster and recluster which shouldn't take much time.
3) the same as point two for break-out trunks if cluster members use the XNET to breakout calls to another cluster member.

Are you sharing licenses as well - DLM or ULM?
You may want to take this into account as well.

Good luck.

Clever men learns what Wise men shares!

thank you Valamagules, your answer comforts me, it was the same plan that I imagined, I needed an opinion from someone experienced.
I am not using DLM, so Licensing would not be an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back