Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IMPORTANT QUESTION FOR THE EXPERTS... 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 13, 2002
US
Dear Gurus:

I worked as an Access programmer for four years on a government contract; however, my skills became stagnant and I was soon without a job. I recently took a course on A+ certification in an effort to start getting certifications under my belt. I am now working at HOME DEPOT because I can't find a job in the IT field. I really want to get back into programming, but I don't have a clue to what is in demand out there.

Could you help me by giving me some information on what the current trends in IT are? What do I need to do to get back out there, languages, operating systems I need to learn and so forth? This information would help tremendously in targeting my expertise.

Here is some info about me:

Programmer: C++, Visual Basic, Access Basic, SQL.

Thanks,

Robert

Learn some web scripting languages.

Take a look at VBScript first it will compliment your Visual Basic skills, though vbscript is better used with ASP (active server pages) than client side scripting unless you know for sure your audience will only us IE browser.

Look into Javascript scripting language it's structure should be easy for you to learn since you know C++ and Javascript is the perfered client side language for browsers.

Server side languages would be (ASP,VBSCRIPT,PHP,CGI) Your skills with C++ should come in handy even without persuing web programming.

The market right now is overloaded, if you don't have at least 3 years experience IMOP, then you'll have a hard time finding a job. Companies right now what EXP over newly college grads and also want the EXP to accept less than what they are worth. There are alot of Unemployed IT people out there right now just looking to keep the mortgage payment going.

Good Luck to you. MrGreed

"did you just say Minkey?, yes that's what I said."

Yeah, I'm in the same damned boat, Robert. However, I live in the middle of Florida where if you can't drive a big rig AND own an airboat, you're scum. So I have to start looking at driving like 50 miles one way just to get an IT job. The current trend in this area goes like this:

I saw an ad for a Help Desk person for a local college. They required a BS in Computer Science and 2 years of experience. You know what the salary was? $1000 every 2 weeks. That's $12.50/hour...did you catch the part about the BS in computer science AND 2 years experience?

So the IT industry really took a crap over the last few years. I don't know, but something tells me that the Dot Com bubble burst has something to do with it. People getting greedy and not planning for the future will muck up even the best ideas...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back