Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Import XML Data into Excel 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

trayb

Programmer
Sep 30, 2002
US
I'm looking for the best approach to find a way to export data from a working copy spreadsheet to a formatted output worksheet, both of which are Excel 2000.

Realizing this would be a lot easier if I could use Excel XP, but I'm stuck with having to use Excel 2000 for now.

So far I've used a VBA routine to identify named ranges within the working copy and generate XML data for each range. Now what?

I've been all over the web looking for solutions and the more I search the more I get confused. I've found many solutions for creating a brand new worksheet from XML data but with my limited knowledge of XML, XLST, etc., I need to find a way to populate an existing, formatted sheet, somehow mapping the input fields to the output fields.

I'm not sure if I should create some type of dataset first then read that into the template? How? ADO?

Or is there an easier way to import the data directly into the template using the raw XML data? To complicate matters, both the input and output workbooks contain multiple sheets and multiple column headings representing relevant sections of data.

Any guidance at all on this issue would be greatly appreciated!

Sorry. Is there a way to move this thread then?

Unfortunately, no. But you can just cut'n'paste your text into a new thread in the other forum.

[tt]_____
[blue]-John[/blue][/tt]
[tab][red]The plural of anecdote is not data[/red]

Help us help you. Please read FAQ181-2886 before posting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back