Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Import txt file problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonnaKK

Technical User
Jun 22, 2001
US
I have an Access2003 database on a shared server. In the database is a macro to import a txt file (it has a specification name). When I open the database (on the server) from my computer & click the button to import (the txt file is in the same folder as the database on the server), the macro works correctly. However, when another person (also has Access2003) goes to the database on the server & opens it & clicks the button to import, an error occurs about a "Transfer" problem & halts the macro. Any ideas what the problem could be?

Hi

What is the extention of the File you are trying to import. Access 2000 onwards, has a "feature" which limits the acceptable extensions by a registry setting

Regards

Ken Reay
Freelance Solutions Developer
Boldon Information Systems Ltd
Website needs upgrading, but for now - UK

It is a .txt file (also the path is the full server path...does not have the "mapped" path.) Everything works correctly from my computer...just not hers. I even tried it on another computer across the hall (logged in as me though) & it worked correctly. My next step may be to check her Msjet40.dll version to make sure she has the newest release?

Hi

Is the problem related to the logged on user, or the actual PC, may be a permissions problem?

Regards

Ken Reay
Freelance Solutions Developer
Boldon Information Systems Ltd
Website needs upgrading, but for now - UK

Thanks for replying KenReay, I don't think is is a permission problem, she has the same permissions as I have. It will be a week or so before I can get on her computer because she is on vacation (I cannot recreate the problem on my end) to do further investigation (don't know yet if it is a user log on problem or PC related...Good Idea though...I will try that first thing when I get access to her computer). I thought if anyone had ever seen this before or have some troubleshooting tips to try when I can get back to figuring out the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back