Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Import SQL > Table Question 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pilly170

IS-IT--Management
Aug 28, 2003
US
Hi,

Can anyone point me in the right direction.

I want to write a function that imports 2 fields from a linked SQL table. fields =(ProductNumber, Price) and import it to a access table but insert a field "customer number" which is defined in the Function header eg Function xyz (custno as string) to every record returned. so the table would have customer number , product number, price for every record.

Ive been searching but cant find anything thats suitable. I was hoping someone could nudge me in the right direction.

I'm a bit unsure about the customer number bit, but hoping you an explain a little further.

But to create a new table off a linked sql table - create a make table query. Insert the fields you require.

Obviously naming the new table as you wish, and then running the query.

If you can let me know a little bit more information about the customer number and how you are generating this i can offer you further assistance in your issue

I was going to specify it when calling it

eg a macro
Runcode
FindPrice_Customer ("14427")

Where 14427 is variable for the customer

I can create the table with the required schema, but i need to add the customer number into every record. so for example the fields are custno,prodno, price, with values of 14427,15500,2.99
next record

does that help?

if the customer number is a static number then within your query in the design mode (not the sql code) put this into a column header

Customer Number:"14427" - and 14427 will appear in this row for each record...

Hope that helps...

This is what i have at the moment as a test

Function Update_XML_Tables(Custno As String, Table As String)

Dim XMLupdate As String

XMLupdate = "INSERT INTO XML_Upload_Pricelist ([CustNo], [ProdNo], [Price])Values ('" & Custno & "','Green',2.99)"
DoCmd.SetWarnings warningsoff
DoCmd.RunSQL XMLupdate
DoCmd.SetWarnings warningson

End Function

Now this inserts ok into the table, now i would like to insert for every record of a linked table specified in the function title. Is this possible?

What's unclear here is what you expect to see in the [CustNo] field for each record. You can just
Code:
XMLupdate = _
"INSERT INTO XML_Upload_Pricelist ([CustNo], [ProdNo], [Price]) " & _
"Select '" &  CustNo & "' As CustNo, ProductNumber, Price " & _
"From LinkedTable "
The problem is that every record will have the [CustNo] contained in the "CustNo" variable.

Thats right. then when i move onto the next table, it will do the same. There for i will have 1 table with all the information I need, customer, product, price.

for example the table inserting to will contain:
Custno Product price

10076 12235 2.99
10076 15547 8.99
10076 56585 5.25
14427 12235 3.06
14427 15547 9.12
14427 56585 5.11

Think i have it working after the previous help

Function Update_XML_Tables(Custno As String, Table As String)

Dim XMLupdate As String

XMLupdate = "INSERT INTO XML_Upload_Pricelist ([CustNo], [ProdNo], [Price]) " & _
"Select '" & Custno & "' As CustNo, Actebis_ProdNo, Price " & _
"From " & Table & " "

DoCmd.SetWarnings warningsoff
DoCmd.RunSQL XMLupdate
DoCmd.SetWarnings warningson

End Function

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back