Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Import SGML text file

Status
Not open for further replies.

jw5107

Technical User
Jan 20, 2004
US
Is there a way to import a "sgml type" - text file into an MS Access table...?
Where can I find out how to do this...?
Thanks,
jw5107

Have you tried converting it to a HTML file then importing into Access?

If you dont ask you wont get :)
Steve Poole
Technical Analyst
Cinram UK ltd

m33sta,

No I haven't. How do I do that....?
Any examples or suggestions..?
Thanks!!
jw5107

jw5107,
SGML? That's old school.

As far as how to convert, if you double click on the file what program opens the document? In that program can you do a Save As? If so you look and see if HTML is an option, how about XML?

If no program opens (like on my computer) you might try importing the file in Access using a file type of XML (XML is a grandchild/subset of SGML).

Hope this helps,
CMP

[small]For the best results do what I'm thinking, not what I'm saying.[/small]
(GMT-07:00) Mountain Time (US & Canada)

m33sta & CautionMP,

Awesome..!! I appreciate the suggestions..!!
I'm still having troubles however..
I am exporting an aircraft manual. The export options I have are either ASCII or SGML. Just tryin' to see if I can get it into an Access table or tables... When I open the exported file - I can save it as a HTML file. When I import the HTML file into Access - I get message stating that the file contains no data....???

Any other suggestions...?
jw5107

jw5107,
When you export the file as HTML and view it is the data in a table?

Since it's an aircraft manual I wonder and I'm pretty sure Access will only see HTML data that's in a table.

Without seeing the output I'm thinking other options would be to use a third party parser (like Monarch) or build your own.

CMP

[small]For the best results do what I'm thinking, not what I'm saying.[/small]
(GMT-07:00) Mountain Time (US & Canada)

Try exporting it as ascii and looking at it with WordPad or Notepad. The SGML option will likely export it with page numbers, etc. Just how big is this manual?

Greg
"Personally, I am always ready to learn, although I do not always like being taught." - Winston Churchill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back