Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Import registry upon Logon

Status
Not open for further replies.

mwiner

IS-IT--Management
Oct 24, 2002
US
Is there a way in windows 2000, by using group policies to import a registry file upon logon? I know I can make it a log on script, but I would like to avoid doing that. I tried creating a custom ADM file, but the values of the entries are too large and are in HEX. apprently ADM can only handle binary.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

-Matt

mwiner,

The typical way of doing it is to export the keys to a .reg file and then import using "regedit /s .reg"

Ian

Everyday the Computer Gods pick one person to be "it". Maybe, today is your day !!

thank you... but I need to make it automated. and I would prefer not doing it though a logon script.

thanks

-Matt

mwiner - you could have an entry in 'machine run' location in registry (can't remember key - but use to set up) to run regedit as suggested by mapleleaf - but its not significantly different to running a script.

Why the aversion? If you want something to happen when machine starts, some sort of process has to run.

You can use this location in the registry to automaticly run a batch file
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]

with "regedit /s yourfile.reg"

Swimpy ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back