Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

import regfiles with non-administrative rights

Status
Not open for further replies.

johan180

Technical User
Apr 1, 2004
NL
Hi,

I'm trying to import regfiles with non-administrative rights. An error is telling me that the registry isn't available for me. I don't want to give the "normal" user the possibility to edit the registry, but they need the possibility to import regfiles in the XP-registry.

Does anyone know how?

greetings from an earthling.

Hi,

Depending on where in the registry the reg files are being appended to, you should be able to logon as an administrative user and then give the restricted user permissions to that particular key. For example, if I wanted to give the user DOMAIN\Joe Bloggs permissions to the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE key, you would start Regedit then right click on the key. Click on Permissions and then click on Add and assign permissions in the same way as you would to a file or folder. Once you then login as that user you should have permission to append your file.

I think!

J.

Hi,

Thanks for your reaction.

The key I want to import is in HKEY_CURRENT_USER.
The regfile is imported during logon via kix.
So assigning permissions in that matter doesn't work.

microsoft.com is telling me that the problem is fixed in SP 2. XP handles permissions for writing to the registry in a different way than 2000 or NT.
Maybe I can get a patch from microsoft.

I'll let you know.

greetings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back