Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Import .pst in Outlook

Status
Not open for further replies.

discofly

Technical User
Jul 21, 2003
GB
All,

I archived some old emails a while ago. The way this was done was to place all the relevant emails in a few different folders, and I then exported all of them as one combined .pst file.

The file came out at about 360MB.

I placed this on CD and stored.

Now I'm looking to re-import these files to look for an email. Everything goes fine - but the emails imported don't seem to be all the emails I exported. The combined size for all of these is coming up at about 80MB...

Any idea what's going on? I've tried it a couple of times but it's always the same.

Thanks.

Copy it from the cd onto your computer somewhere. Remove the read only flag. Then do the import.

Steve

Sorry - I should have mentioned - I'ev already done that.

How old are they? I've never looked into this, but could your autoarchive settings be causing the outdated messages to not be imported (or immediately archived)?

Steve

I created the archive manually - it wasn't an autoarchive folder. I used the Import/ Export file action.

My guess is a corrupt file?

Hi Discofly,

I archive my old mails to separate .PST files all the time and manually add them back into Outlook when I need something from them following these steps.

Tools>Options>Mail setup>Data Files>Add>OK>Browse for files

They should then appear in the list of folders available in the right hand 'folder list' view in outlook.

This has been testesd and works in Outlook 2002 and 2003, and probably other versions also.

Hope this helps

A,

A,

Many thanks - this does import the file - but again it is only about 80MB or so - lots of stuff seems to be missing.

Then unless as smah says they are so old they are from a different version of outlook I suspect also that some curruption has occurred.

Have you tried Microsofts corrupt PST file repair tool?

On my computer it's location here, browse for a similar location on your PC and use it against the .PST file in question. Make sure you dont have it open in Outlook when running this.

"C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\Mapi\1033\SCANPST.EXE"

If this doesnt bring back your other emails you might be out of luck.

A,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back