Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Import Objects VS Copy and Paste??? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bjdobs

Programmer
Mar 11, 2002
CA
I have 2 Access 2000 Projects (mdb) files and want to combine them into one ... I did an import objects by selecting all Forms, tables,queries etc ... looking at the new mdb file, the Forms are there, however, the form code is not accessible (returns a NETWORK connection error) both files are in the same directory on a stand alone machine.

If I do a FORM copy and paste I don't appear to have this issue ... being that I have alot of forms to merge it sure would be better if the import object worked ... is there a known problem with the import objects frature or is there some trick or sequence to make this work properly?

Unfortunatly, it's a known problem with ac2k...

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ222-2244

Ok so is there any way to combine 2 MDB files?

Would Office XP ACCESS work?

I have just spent about a week recovering all my work out of another project that I had copied and pasted forms plus done some integration coding ... this project file crashed and compact and repair or a third party recovery program would not recover the file ... I am still in the process of rebuilding this project from scratch because I don't know what caused this problem.

I just did a copy and past of one form into another mdb file as a test ... after the paste I was able to view the code ... then I did a compact and repair and now the same problem has happened the code is no longer accessible

HAve you applied all the SR and SP on your office2k install ?

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ222-2244

I am not sure what the status of this copy as it belongs to a client ... I have now transfered the mdb files to a system with Access XP which has all the SR/SP updated and it now appears to be behaving ... my only hesitation with going this route was backwards compatiblilty ... I pressume that as long as I don't convert to the 2002 format that the file will still run under Access 2k?

Yes, but when back to ac2k double check the references and compile the whole project.

Hope This Helps, PH.

You don't have to upgrade to make it work, you just have to install the service pack. The problem is a conflict between Access 2000 and version 6.3.91.8 of the Vbe6.dll. Look at the MSDN article for details:

Access 2000 Import Bug

VBSlammer
redinvader3walking.gif

"You just have to know which screws to turn." - Professor Bob

I didn't mention that I've used the work-around in the past with good results, which is to open both databases in windows small enough to view both together, then copy/paste each object manually into the new database's database window using CTRL+C and CTRL+V. The important step then is to make sure you do a full compile before shutting the new database down.

This bug is the reason I now use VSS for all my Access projects, because I can restore the database from VSS should something get corrupted during development.

VBSlammer
redinvader3walking.gif

Visual Source Safe - ships with the Developer's Edition of Office. It allows multiple developers to "Check Out" objects from the database so you can maintain the changes easily. Since VSS extracts each object into a separate text file (except for tables and toolbars) it can restore a corrupt object from the last good one that was checked in. It's also a great tool for comparing changes made to each object because it keeps a revision history and allows you to open a 2-pane window that highlights the changes.

It gets to be somewhat of a hassle to work with after a while (all the check-outs and check-ins), but I can't count how many hours of work I've lost in the past trying to restore corrupted projects, so to me it's well worth it.

VBSlammer
redinvader3walking.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back