Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Import/export with repeating fields

Status
Not open for further replies.

itsmewhoelse

Technical User
Jan 15, 2003
US
Hi all,

I'm having a problem trying to import a file containing repeating fields. I don't find any clarification in my FMP book or the help file. Has anyone done here done this?

TIA

wesley

FMP 5.5v2
winxp pro sp1

bad news....repeated fields are stricly FM concept....while the import is not. I had no luck "exchanging" data from/to repeated fields....especially if ur importing from anything else other than FM files.
perhaps someone else had a better luck out here!<
all the best

> need more info?
:: don't click HERE ::

itsmewhoelse

What type of import. Repeating to non-repeating or something else? Could you expand some.

Mike

Mike,
Thanks for your replies. I haven't had the time to browse all of the resources you sent me yet, but I will.
I should have given more info up front, sorry.
I had a solution that looks like this...

item #a datea amounta | item #b dateb amountb
&quot;&quot; &quot;&quot; &quot;&quot; | &quot;&quot; &quot;&quot; &quot;&quot;
and each of them has 10 repeating fields under them.

Also, you should know, at the top of the record are fields for ...
record # (unique, incrementing)
Invoice # (entered by user)
Unit # (value list, pull down menu)
Salesperson name ( value list, pull down menu)
acc't period (entered by user)
total amount (calc.sum of amounta & amountb)
The info in the above fields is essential to retain.
and a few other (non-essential, summary fields)(not on new layout)

I need to import the records from this file to a new solution that looks like this...
(desc=description)
item# date desc1 desc2 desc3 qty1 qty2 qty3 qty4 type totamt
&quot;&quot; &quot;&quot; &quot;&quot; &quot;&quot; &quot;&quot; &quot;&quot; &quot;&quot; &quot;&quot; &quot;&quot; &quot;&quot; &quot;&quot;
and each of these has 20 repeating fields under them.

this layout retains the same, exact, (essential)fields above as the previous layout.

here's the biggest hurdle...
how do I get item #a & item #b AND amounta & amountb into their respective new fields (item# & totamt)
I can live without the dates (datea,dateb) and other stuff, but I need the amounts and item #'s.

I hope I have been able to relate this clearly enough for you to visualize it and help me with my dillema.

Thanks,
Wesley

itsmewhoelse

You can merge the fields together with a calculation field and then import that field. Provideing your total amt is not a calculation field.

item a + Item b = Item #
Amt a + Amt b = total amt

Mike

Okay there are a couple of things going here. First, what you are calling 'repeating feilds' I think are actually what I would call multiple records- which makes things easier, but I can import either way. Certainly if the data is not coming from FileMaker Pro these are not repeating fields.

The more important issue is that you can not do much to control the data coming inot the database through the import command, this is not to say you can not do what you have outlined. The principle is that you will import that data as it is formattted and then build a few calculation fields to break out the data from both sides of the pipe character into two different fields.

I'm not looking at FMP right now, but I'm thinking the calc should use the Position function nested in the Left function and then repeat for the Right calc.

E-mail if you need more help...

thanks,

Joe

joe@svkingpen.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back