Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Import Error - "Type Conversion Failure"

Status
Not open for further replies.

ammiller

Programmer
Nov 21, 2002
IE
When trying to import a spreadsheet into access I get one import error.

The offending record imports apart from one field whicj I am advised is due to "Type Conversion Failure". This is advised in the import errors table that is generated.

The value which doesn't import is "000000A358289".
The field is text data type.

Am I missing something here?

Thanks for any help.

Aidan

The only thing I can think of is to check the length of your Text field in the database table design view.

The other thing is to check the actual value "000000A358289" and make sure there aren't any trailing spaces or whatnot. --
Find common answers using Google Groups:

Aidan, I have had this happen before. Possibly the first few records being imported have numbers in this field and Access is assigning this field a number data type. Then when it encounters the "A" in the middle of your problem field, it gives the "Type Conversion Failure" error. Try adding a letter character to the number in this field in the first record. Access will then interpret the field as "Text" and should import all your data. You can remove the added letter after the file is imported.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back