Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

import *.dbs (sql Windows format) database

Status
Not open for further replies.

cookiespin

Programmer
Jan 23, 2004
US
One of our sites needs to convert a database (.dbs file) "to ASCII or something else (MSAccess, etc.)". They tell me that this is a sql database file generated from ENTEK/IRD Odyssey software for motor vibration analysis.
I haven't run across any information on how to import or open this file with any software outside of Odyssey. I'm not familiar with Odyssey, either.
Any suggestions?
Thanks.

It all depends on how the file was written. Try opening the file in notepad and see what it says. It may simply be a csv file or something. If it's not it may have info at the top of the file that will tell you what format it's in.

It may be a propritory format that only Odyssey understands. If that's the case hopefully Odyssey has a way to export to CSV or some other standard file structer.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)

[noevil]
(My very old site)

If you can connect to the database via ODBC there is a product called SQLWays available at I use it to convert data from Dataflex to Oracle.

HTH,

William Chadbourne
Oracle DBA

I was able to open the file with a hex editor (not notepad), but didn't see anything helpful.
The user doesn't know if it's possible to set up an odbc data source- we could also use that to pull the data directly into Access or Excel. He's checking with Odyssey now. I'll check out SQLWays to see if that's a better option for us than Access or Excel.
Thanks for the suggestions.

fyi... Odyssey software will help with resolution on this- apparently it's not something we can/will learn how to do.
Thanks for you suggestions.

I wonder why someone tries to convert the data from Entek/IRD to access. They want to re-invent the wheel?
This type of software receives data generated in handheld vibration analyzers from different vendors, So there is an industrial standard. Probably some computer geek busy doing miracles and not grasping the underlying technology.

Steven

SQLBase" from Gupta worldwide uses a ".dbs" file to store its database. They have a demo SQL Server you can download in try to import your .dbs file. You can find them at Good Luck
Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back